Hermanns Social Needs

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
Our 2 Western Hermanns (male and female) are about to get their own pen for the first time EVER. Pairs don't work so they have been separated all winter in their own indoor enclosures. As we move them outside for the season and build them pens I wondered this... Do they do better in groups? Would they benefit from a small group or is it better to give them their own pen? The pens would be bigger than all we see, approximately 30'x16', is this to big for 1 tort? We want to provide more room than what we see in most Hermanns enclosures. Should we get a couple more and start our own group? if so whats the best malexfemale combo? We are not necessarily into breeding since there are tons that need homes, how could we prevent breeding? Can you keep just 4 or 5 males together and do the same for the female .. 4 or 5 in a group? Thank you for your time on this and I am looking forward to what you all think.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh one male not two together or even a group of males together, they will fight
A group of females can work or one male to a group of at least 3 females but they will breed.
You could keep your male single and get a group of females, at least two more to add to your one.
I personally think 30x16 is too big for one smaller species of tort.
My leopards have an outdoor area that is about 7 wide by 60 long. They barely use half of it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Our 2 Western Hermanns (male and female) are about to get their own pen for the first time EVER. Pairs don't work so they have been separated all winter in their own indoor enclosures. As we move them outside for the season and build them pens I wondered this... Do they do better in groups? Would they benefit from a small group or is it better to give them their own pen? The pens would be bigger than all we see, approximately 30'x16', is this to big for 1 tort? We want to provide more room than what we see in most Hermanns enclosures. Should we get a couple more and start our own group? if so whats the best malexfemale combo? We are not necessarily into breeding since there are tons that need homes, how could we prevent breeding? Can you keep just 4 or 5 males together and do the same for the female .. 4 or 5 in a group? Thank you for your time on this and I am looking forward to what you all think.
There are hardly any westerns in this country, and its is exceedingly difficult to get more, so you should breed the heck out of them. They are also a great species and suitable for most people in most of the country. Figure out which locality you have and only get more of those. Don't mix them with other localities.

Are you sure you have westerns? Easterns are much more common.

Having said that, they are totally fine living alone, and 30x16 is about half the size I would give one, so definitely not too big.

In the wild there will be several in a given area and they seem to be able to co-exist. They don't always co-exist in our captive environments, so if you make a group, have a back up plan to separate them.

In most cases, you can only have one adult male Testudo per pen, but Westerns would be one of the ones most likely to be an exception to that in a large enough pen with enough animals in it.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@Tom ... We are not 100% sure if they are Western, most likely not. When I have a little more time I will take pics of defining characteristics and post for all to see and ID properly.
We don't like the whole breeding thing as we house unwanted torts and can't imagine bringing more into the world. It looks like we will be making individual pens to prevent breeding and bullying. Being in the Desert is going to be a challenge for Humidity levels but one I will take on.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
OK hope these pics are sufficient, at least to get a general idea.
Male in Bottom of Picture Female is on TopIMG_0722.jpeg
IMG_0723.jpeg
Those pics didn't come out as good as wanted. If someone needs better I will retake. These 2 are supposed to be Brother and Sister, kept for 3 years (from Hatchling) in a open Tort table.
FemaleIMG_0724.jpeg
MaleIMG_0726.jpeg
FemaleIMG_0731.jpegIMG_0730.jpeg
MaleIMG_0728.jpegIMG_0729.jpeg
We were thinking Western based on the Male but the Female seems to be Eastern traits? Really it's only the solid black Plastron on the Male that seems Western. We don't know hope someone does.
If they do better in groups then that's what we'll do, but if solitary is a more natural type of life that's what we'll do. Tortoises sure are fun eyyyy.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Eastern Hermanns is what they are, after consulting with a Testudo expert. I was also told they do better in groups and solitary is not natural, groups are common in nature. We are now going to work on a large singular pen with a group of ? We're trying to figure this part out. Thinking of contacting the CTTC and fill out an application for adoptions and see how that goes. Feeling there are lots of Easterns needing homes, they are the most common.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Eastern Hermanns is what they are, after consulting with a Testudo expert. I was also told they do better in groups and solitary is not natural, groups are common in nature. We are now going to work on a large singular pen with a group of ? We're trying to figure this part out. Thinking of contacting the CTTC and fill out an application for adoptions and see how that goes. Feeling there are lots of Easterns needing homes, they are the most common.
I can't speak about other groups, but I know I've not see ANY Hermann's tortoises for rescue in my local CTTC club or a few local . Only Russians, CDTs, and Sulcata, sometimes Leopards, and I rarely see the on CL. Maybe its a SoCal thing, but its one of the ones I see least frequently. I see some for sale on CL, but not really rescues

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I can't speak about other groups, but I know I've not see ANY Hermann's tortoises for rescue in my local CTTC club or a few local . Only Russians, CDTs, and Sulcata, sometimes Leopards, and I rarely see the on CL. Maybe its a SoCal thing, but its one of the ones I see least frequently. I see some for sale on CL, but not really rescues
Our local CTTC is closed permanently. Once we get the pen done I'll look further into it I guess.