Hermanns Tortoise Enclosure

lloydw780

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
Just got an Eastern Hermanns tortoise, and this is the final set up I came too. Open to any suggestions to improve it ! Will be moved to a 4x8 table once big enough. Enclosure is a 2x2x4. Photo attached below !

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpeg
    IMG_0217.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Change the water dish to a low sided clay saucer. The dish you have with such straight sides is a flipping hazard.
The bulb in the pic, is it a mercury bulb? If so change it for a tube florescent for uvb, an incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter for any added heat needed
Is this a closed chamber? It looks like it is, and that's good. If by chance it's not, do whatever is possible to get it closed.
I would also remove a log and maybe a hide. It needs the roaming room to keep and build muscle and keep insides working properly.
Looks good otherwise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just got an Eastern Hermanns tortoise, and this is the final set up I came too. Open to any suggestions to improve it ! Will be moved to a 4x8 table once big enough. Enclosure is a 2x2x4. Photo attached below !
Looks good. I agree with Wellington about the water dish, and your food dish looks like it might be too deep and not sunk into the substrate well enough. I can't really tell in the picture, but thought I'd mention it as something to look out for.

Also, if those plants are plastic, be careful. Every time I've tried to do that, the tortoises eat them. They sure look nice though.

More info for you here, though it looks like you may have already read all of this judging from your set up:

Welcome to the forum!

lloydw780

Alberta
Change the water dish to a low sided clay saucer. The dish you have with such straight sides is a flipping hazard.
The bulb in the pic, is it a mercury bulb? If so change it for a tube florescent for uvb, an incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter for any added heat needed
Is this a closed chamber? It looks like it is, and that's good. If by chance it's not, do whatever is possible to get it closed.
I would also remove a log and maybe a hide. It needs the roaming room to keep and build muscle and keep insides working properly.
Looks good otherwise.
The UVB is an Arcadian HO t5 12% and I currently am using a Philips 65 watt flood with a frosted lense. I also have a CHE just out of the pic set on a thermostat at 80 for ambient and night temp. I agree and the hide removal. Just testing out what he currently prefers. Thanks for the help!

lloydw780

Alberta
Looks good. I agree with Wellington about the water dish, and your food dish looks like it might be too deep and not sunk into the substrate well enough. I can't really tell in the picture, but thought I'd mention it as something to look out for.

Also, if those plants are plastic, be careful. Every time I've tried to do that, the tortoises eat them. They sure look nice though.

More info for you here, though it looks like you may have already read all of this judging from your set up:

Welcome to the forum!
I agree, was watching him use the dishes earlier today and noticed a lil struggle myself. I’ll sink the food dish in more as well.
The plants are plastic and I’m keeping a close eye on him (or her since I don’t know atm).
Thank you!
I spent countless hours on here and love all the knowledge you guys share.
Cheers 🇨🇦

Reactions: Tom

lloydw780

Alberta
Did some changes to the tank and my Eastern Hermanns (Alffie) seems to be absolutely loving it. He loves cruising on top of his hide and back down the other side. Also started putting small food dishes throughout for a more natural scavenger enrichment. Had no idea tortoises could be so active.
Cheers 🇨🇦

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpeg
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2