mushrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
my red foot loves mushrooms, she devors them and comes running for them when she knows i have them. i am assuming they are good for her, but i just wanted to make sure it was ok? or if there was a limit to how much she should be fed?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
OMG, mushrooms are ambrosia to tortoises. Even the Queen of the Picky Eaters, my Taco, loves her mushrooms and picks through her greens to get at them first. :p

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
:) well thats certainly answered my qeustion, so is any mushroom good for them?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I only use regular white Crimini mushrooms. So, good question. As long as you don't feed them poisonous or hallucinogenic mushrooms, I'll bet it's OK. And I wouldn't spend a lot of money on exotic mushrooms when the common ones are well-liked.

I wonder if there's the dreaded oxalic acid in mushrooms? If so, that would mean feeding them only sometimes, not every day.

Anyone?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
My Manouria's will strip the fungus growing on dead trees in a matter of an hour. They absolutely love it.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
:) thanks everyone, this is awesome bec Ophelia runs to her food when she sees them

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Mushrooms and fungi play a significant role in the diets of forest tortoises and box turtles. Wild-growing fungi are also rich in vitamin D- one of the few plants that have any at all.

There is nothing I can think of that would make them bad for other tortoises, although I am not up on their needs. Mushrooms in general have no oxalates- also not much calcium, fat, carbs, etc.

One interesting story- Native Americans in the New York area always considered box turtles poisonous to eat. It turns out that the mushrooms the turtles eat flavors their flesh with no ill effect to themselves.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
All the tortoises I have kept love mushrooms: redfoots, leopards, sulcata, sri lankan stars, russians, radiateds, and burmese stars. They usually get whatever is left over from what we don't use for a dinner recipe.

In addition, mushrooms make up the staple of some tortoises' diets....usually some of the forest species, where mushrooms are more plentiful.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Madkins007 said:
Mushrooms and fungi play a significant role in the diets of forest tortoises and box turtles. Wild-growing fungi are also rich in vitamin D- one of the few plants that have any at all.

There is nothing I can think of that would make them bad for other tortoises, although I am not up on their needs. Mushrooms in general have no oxalates- also not much calcium, fat, carbs, etc.

One interesting story- Native Americans in the New York area always considered box turtles poisonous to eat. It turns out that the mushrooms the turtles eat flavors their flesh with no ill effect to themselves.

That's true...box turtles eat poisonous mushrooms w/ impunity, but the poison stays in their flesh, and many people have gotten deathly ill or died outright from eating box turtles...

Knew a guy in Arkansas who bragged that that was an old wive's tale...he had a very nice funeral.

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
So I read "mushrooms"? Aren't they poisonous:(? So I read more . . . and find out no . . . and I trust you all (bunch of jokesters, but you'd never lie). So I buy organic mushrooms and top everyones salad with them - OMG they all cleaned their plates like they were starving (they are not, trust me!). Even "Tex" our big Sulcata, who thinks everything on his plate should have color scarfed the mushrooms down. Note to self: add mushrooms to grocery list!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would only feed a tortoise similar to what they get in the wild, so I don't feed my Russian mushroom or any veggies except for squash/pumpkin. I'd only feed a forest tort or boxie or similar mushrooms.

G

gyrertr

Mushrooms is a mostly used for made a medicine thus it is a best for our body thus it have a many vitamins and proteins thus it is a many different types mushrooms .Mushrooms describes a series of mushroom gills, with or without feet, and the term is used more generally to describe the fleshy fruit of certain organs Ascomycota and woody or leathery fruiting bodies of some Basingstoke, depending on the context, the word.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
tortoisenerd said:
I would only feed a tortoise similar to what they get in the wild, so I don't feed my Russian mushroom or any veggies except for squash/pumpkin. I'd only feed a forest tort or boxie or similar mushrooms.

So besides the squash/pumpkin, you feed russian weeds and broadleaf plants to your russian tortoise? If not russian weeds and broadleaf plants, what is similar to what they get in the wild? How do we know they wouldn't eat a mushroom in the wild? Almost any tortoise I have offered a mushroom to....eats it with gusto. I am not saying to feed mushrooms all the time....but every now and then as a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.