White residue on Hermmanns shell

Mweigel

Location (City and/or State)
Oneonta
I have had Poe for 5 years now....I don't know why she has this white line on her shell. Her humidity is 40%. she does crawl under the couch so could it be from that? any adivece would be appreciatted it's the fisrt time i have seen this white residue on her schutes.

Attachments

• IMG_1465.JPG
    IMG_1465.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The yellowish white line between the scute is a growth line. In five years, this shouldn't be her first one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Crawling under the couch is a very bad sign of why there hasn't been growth lines before. You are not housing her properly in her own proper enclosure. Stop letting her roam your house floors, this is dangerous and not warm enough and improper care!

Mweigel

Oneonta
Crawling under the couch is a very bad sign of why there hasn't been growth lines before. You are not housing her properly in her own proper enclosure. Stop letting her roam your house floors, this is dangerous and not warm enough and improper care!
Her house is 95 on the hot side and 70 on the cool side. When i bathe her i let her roam the living room to get more exercize, when she goes under the couch i know it's time for her to go back into her enclosure. She has had growth lines before that were light yellow. If i rub he shell lightly with my finger nail that is what made that line white, so I am worried maybe something is wrong with her UV bulbs? or she isn't getting enough calcium? I feed her a little calcium powder ever other day because she wont eat her food if i do the reccommended scoop. and she wont nibble on a cuttle bone. She walks around fine, her belly doesn't drag and she wants to climb and dig. She's 9inchs now. I was wondering if its calcium related or UV lighting. How would I know? You think it's just growth lines that look different then before?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A scoop of calcium powder is a big no. Too much is as bad as too little. What you are giving is enough. I think it's just growth line.
It's not good to let her roam your floors. Too many times we have seen bad things happen and it's always from owners who watch them closely and swear there is nothing that could cause a problem, but then it always happens. If she needs more room to roam then she needs a bigger enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have had Poe for 5 years now....I don't know why she has this white line on her shell. Her humidity is 40%. she does crawl under the couch so could it be from that? any adivece would be appreciatted it's the fisrt time i have seen this white residue on her schutes.
That looks like hard water staining to me. After a soak do you rise the tortoise with de-mineralized water? If not, the minerals will collect on the carapace as the water evaporates.

Your tortoises should not be loose on the floor. Its a recipe for disaster. Its not safe and it can't be made safe. No amount of supervision can make it safe. Leave the tortoise in its enclosure, and make sure the enclosure is large enough to meet the tortoises exercise needs.