New redfoot tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
i got a new juvenile redfoot tortoise from my local pet store 2 days ago and i want to be really successful with my tortoise and be a good pet owner. He is happier where we live and we actually walked around for about a half hour then sat under the heat lamp for alittle bit before he ate and then walk around for a short while before going back to his hide out. im willing to bet he rarely walked around his tank at the pet store because of all the children walking around and tapping on the glass.

if you want to check out what my tank setup is, it looks like this:
Coco the redfoot tortoise

im using a 150W infrared heat light with a long purple uvb light with a 50gallon storage container.

and i have a humidity meter and right now its reading 60 on the gauge. but yesterday and thru night it was reading 75 and then it was 61 today when i woke this morning.

What should the humidity be for the tortoise and what should the temp be?
my grandmother said humidity shouldnt be a problem because we live in rhode island near the ocean and the water is 5-10mins away and with summer coming the humidity would be to high if i bought a humidifier. Our beach is so close i could walk the beach from my house in about 30-40mins. but

i was told about 80-85 degrees under the lamp and about 70 degrees for the cool spot on the other side of the tank but im not sure if that is correct.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I know you're trying to do the right thing, so please don't think I'm being rude or mean when I say that your habitat isn't big enough for that size tortoise, and its too barren, thus making it be too dry.

You can buy another of those tubs, cut out an opposing end on each and put them together, making one nice long tub. Then add some either real or fake plants and wet down the substrate. Then if you spritz water over the plants daily, it will make it more humid in the habitat.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston TX
As Yvonne said i would definately get him in a larger enclosure .
You can get a 55 gallon tub @ Wal -mart for around 20 bucks .
Nice start & good looking redfoot .:):tort:
Welcome to TFO .
We are all family here & help you best we can for providing you with the correct information to help point you in the right direction,
You will enjoy this litttle guy/girl for many years to come with correct husbandry.
Mike D.

Status
Not open for further replies.