“Water-proofing” inside of enclosure

Kupcake

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I have bought a 6’x3’ bookshelf that I am making into a large indoor closed tortoise table. I haven’t decided how to close the top yet, maybe acrylic/glass or a hinged window - this will be later in another post I’m sure!

So I have replaced the flimsy back of the shelf with plywood and am getting ready to paint...and I realize I have no idea what to use! The shelf is already painted black. So I was going to paint it black again and then seal with a water proof pet friendly product...well what is this product?!?!?!

So I have this wood enclosure and I don’t know how to protect the inside from the high humidity and moist substrate!

Any advice for an indoor wood habitat that needs paint/sealant?

baldegale

I have bought a 6’x3’ bookshelf that I am making into a large indoor closed tortoise table. I haven’t decided how to close the top yet, maybe acrylic/glass or a hinged window - this will be later in another post I’m sure!

So I have replaced the flimsy back of the shelf with plywood and am getting ready to paint...and I realize I have no idea what to use! The shelf is already painted black. So I was going to paint it black again and then seal with a water proof pet friendly product...well what is this product?!?!?!

So I have this wood enclosure and I don’t know how to protect the inside from the high humidity and moist substrate!

Any advice for an indoor wood habitat that needs paint/sealant?

so theres i think 4 options, theres this stuff called “kennel sealer” that you can order at home depot, then theres pond armor which youll also have to buy online, then theres marine paint which you also have to buy online, and then one that im not sure of is counter top paint

Kupcake

Las Vegas, NV
so theres i think 4 options, theres this stuff called “kennel sealer” that you can order at home depot, then theres pond armor which youll also have to buy online, then theres marine paint which you also have to buy online, and then one that im not sure of is counter top paint

Yes, that is what I came up with too. Unless someone has any ideas on how I could cover a large area with silicone or I figure out how to use linoleum.

My last step will be the painting and sealing, so I have time to figure out and order the sealant.

baldegale

Yes, that is what I came up with too. Unless someone has any ideas on how I could cover a large area with silicone or I figure out how to use linoleum.

My last step will be the painting and sealing, so I have time to figure out and order the sealant.

the kennel sealer will be the cheapest. ive used it before and it worked perfectly fine on plywood

ohiohomestead

Northern Ohio
Any use POND ARMOUR before on a inside enclosure?
Like the idea it is a bit thicker then KENNEL SEALER for the cracks/joints in the plywood.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I figure since a 'table' is only a temporary measure until the tortoise is big enough to go outside, something simple as a liner is ok to use. A nice piece of plastic pond liner does the trick.