♬Little dude♬ Brendel (Sulcata) California

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You're obviously doing a great job with Brendel. As you can see, I also am from the Sacramento area and was at the reptile show also when you bought him! I definitely agree - this forum is an invaluable resource. It is so amazing how much mis-information is still out there. Again, Congrats on a great job.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome to the forum. I know, I'm late in the welcoming, but that's the story of my life I see, based on what you said about the "they are desert tortoises, your baby was started "dry." As such, there's just a couple of tweets I would consider. Give your baby two baths daily as opposed to one. Just think about it. This is their time to drink, hydrate, and poop/pee. When done once a day, and if he gets thirsty, usually babies won't drink from a dish on their own. I don't know why that's the case, but I've seen it over and over again. So, by soaking twice daily, you kind of force him to drink cause they absorb the water at both ends. Second, if you're not already doing this, your baby needs to be given calcium in their food. I would buy powered calcium and sprinkle a small amount on food 3 times a week. Finally, if you really want to do the very best for your baby, read Tom's thread on how to raise baby sulcatas. His information can help ward off any problems that can develop later on life. Also, he provides a list of foods that sulcatas should eat and what foods to avoid. While romaine is a great snack from time to time, if left up to the tortoise, he'll prefer it over what's really the best food for him. So, if you haven't read up on Tom's threads, please do so. Oh, and if you ever decide to get a dog down the line, dogs and tortoises should never be put together not even for a second! Dogs, by their nature, will kill a tortoise even if the dog thinks he's playing. You've done a great job so far. Congrats on your new baby!

Brendelwood

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
You're obviously doing a great job with Brendel. As you can see, I also am from the Sacramento area and was at the reptile show also when you bought him! I definitely agree - this forum is an invaluable resource. It is so amazing how much mis-information is still out there. Again, Congrats on a great job.
Thank you! Honestly, Brendel's living like a homeless person compared to the beautiful resort you've provided your tortoises. I am doing my best to keep the little dude happy.

Give your baby two baths daily as opposed to one.
Unfortunately I don't have the time available every day to give two daily soaks. With work and commute and all (5am - 5pm) I'm lucky to get a daily soak in without having to dig up the hut. I do my best to get an additional soak on weekends when I can. I do leave a water dish in the habitat that Brendel will march through when doing perimeter sweeps. Usually a good chunk of water is displaced by the time I get home. Either that or I'm way underestimating the amount of water that evaporates daily.

Second, if you're not already doing this, your baby needs to be given calcium in their food.
Oooh good, this I am doing on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Finally, if you really want to do the very best for your baby, read Tom's thread on how to raise baby sulcatas.
Those were some of the first threads I read through back when I was lurking about. The food lists I have saved on my phone for reference when at the store or Farmer's Market. I try to get something different when shopping ever since I learned that sulcatas can get picky quickly. Brendel is consistently fed Mazuri and weeds from the yard.

Oh, and if you ever decide to get a dog down the line, dogs and tortoises should never be put together not even for a second!
Yes, I've seen some of the posts where this has happened. Not pretty at all. I'm super nervous to let the girlfriend's cats get near Brendel. One has no interest whatsoever while the other never misses a bath time. In fact, I was more worried that a squirrel was going to nab Brendel back when it was warm enough to explore the back yard with supervision.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thank you! Honestly, Brendel's living like a homeless person compared to the beautiful resort you've provided your tortoises. I am doing my best to keep the little dude happy.

Unfortunately I don't have the time available every day to give two daily soaks. With work and commute and all (5am - 5pm) I'm lucky to get a daily soak in without having to dig up the hut. I do my best to get an additional soak on weekends when I can. I do leave a water dish in the habitat that Brendel will march through when doing perimeter sweeps. Usually a good chunk of water is displaced by the time I get home. Either that or I'm way underestimating the amount of water that evaporates daily.

Oooh good, this I am doing on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Those were some of the first threads I read through back when I was lurking about. The food lists I have saved on my phone for reference when at the store or Farmer's Market. I try to get something different when shopping ever since I learned that sulcatas can get picky quickly. Brendel is consistently fed Mazuri and weeds from the yard.

Yes, I've seen some of the posts where this has happened. Not pretty at all. I'm super nervous to let the girlfriend's cats get near Brendel. One has no interest whatsoever while the other never misses a bath time. In fact, I was more worried that a squirrel was going to nab Brendel back when it was warm enough to explore the back yard with supervision.

Like I said, you're doing a great job with Brendel. Have you thought of getting one of those foggers for your enclosure? The humidity builds up and it's easy to maintain 80% humidity with one of those. Of course, you'll need to cover any area where the humidity could escape. But, it's really worth it because babies need this for the first year or more. After that, it may not make much more of a difference as far as pyramiding is concerned. The first 12-14 months are the most vital for baby's smooth shell. If once a day soak is all you can do, then that will have to suffice. You show such a great love for this lil guy. I love that!

Brendelwood

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Have you thought of getting one of those foggers for your enclosure? The humidity builds up and it's easy to maintain 80% humidity with one of those. Of course, you'll need to cover any area where the humidity could escape. But, it's really worth it because babies need this for the first year or more.
I have seen a couple setups with different foggers/humidifiers, but I haven't priced any. With the current setup I already am getting condensation forming inside the habitat with humidity above 75 as long as the substrate stays moist. I'm using peg board (cheapest wood available) covered in aluminum foil with cut-outs for the MVB and CHE to contain the micro-climate.

Are there any foggers you suggest using or one's I should avoid?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I have seen a couple setups with different foggers/humidifiers, but I haven't priced any. With the current setup I already am getting condensation forming inside the habitat with humidity above 75 as long as the substrate stays moist. I'm using peg board (cheapest wood available) covered in aluminum foil with cut-outs for the MVB and CHE to contain the micro-climate.

Are there any foggers you suggest using or one's I should avoid?
The ones I've used are from ZooMed Reptifogger. I wouldn't use the monsoon mister because it's just too wet. But, from what you described with the aluminum and wetting the substrate, a d getting a sustained 75% humidity, I wouldn't I.vest in a fogger :) You did good!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Little Dude looks great !!
m1257.gif
You are doing a good job !
m1212.gif

Brendelwood

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Little Dude looks great !!
m1257.gif
You are doing a good job !
m1212.gif
Thanks! The texture of the shell growth reminds me of vinyl. The front most costal scutes appear to have a little bit of a pyramiding effect on just one corner (rear corner touching marginal scutes). I think I'm just starting to look for trouble where there isn't any.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Thanks! The texture of the shell growth reminds me of vinyl. The front most costal scutes appear to have a little bit of a pyramiding effect on just one corner (rear corner touching marginal scutes). I think I'm just starting to look for trouble where there isn't any.

We all are probably a bit "over vigilant" , but I think its a good thing especially in the hatchling stage ! :)

Brendelwood

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
This weekend marks one year since adopting Brendel. I don't have an exact hatch date but the egg tooth was still attached at the time of purchase. I am astounded by the growth rate of this species.

Here's Brendel at 52 weeks:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474777104.040560.jpg

I just recently received and planted some browsing tortoise seed mix. I'm already starting to see sprouts.

Brendelwood

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
It ended up taking a little longer to complete the box than I first expected. Here it is all assembled. I was considering heavy duty decking paint for the interior and staining the outside. Any suggestions for water proofing are definitely welcome.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484693085.537534.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484693104.781695.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484693133.590501.jpg

Killerrookie