? slug

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I don't suppose the odd one on his weeds when he is grazing will do much harm but I don't think they are something that should be regularly fed. Slugs are carriers of lungworm which can infect dogs, cats and hedgehogs etc so I'm guessing it is also a risk for torts.
I always wash any weeds I pick thoroughly to make sure there are no insects and slugs etc on them.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
What kind of tortoise? I have a Russian and he won't eat anything unless he sniffs it first. I think that's why. Even after having him for 14 years his stool sample showed no worms or paracites recently. (Even though I have slugs in the yard.) I'm with Lyn W on this one. Just remember that slugs leave a slimey track on everything they touch. It's difficult to wash off.

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
I don't know if they are safe to eat, but I know that there sure are a TON of the GIANT leopard slugs in my part of PA!

If I were you I would rather be safe than sorry, and just try to avoid letting your tort eat slugs!

?

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
I don't suppose the odd one on his weeds when he is grazing will do much harm but I don't think they are something that should be regularly fed. Slugs are carriers of lungworm which can infect dogs, cats and hedgehogs etc so I'm guessing it is also a risk for torts.
I always wash any weeds I pick thoroughly to make sure there are no insects and slugs etc on them.
thank u so much for your reply x

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
I don't know if they are safe to eat, but I know that there sure are a TON of the GIANT leopard slugs in my part of PA!

If I were you I would rather be safe than sorry, and just try to avoid letting your tort eat slugs!

?
Thanks x

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Slugs and snails are regular foods many Hingebacks eat as well as Box turtles. There's many more chelonians as well as other reptiles that have these as main or partial dietary staple foods. I'm surprised you don't already know this. If they want to eat them they're a great food source.

Last edited:

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
My redfoot eats them. Redfoots can have protein, I don't know if it be ok for other Torts though.
Our RF spends a lot of his time actively hunting them and he is quite good at it. He can consistantly and accurately identify small ones hiding as inconspicuous lumps in a Hosta from at least 6" away.

Makes me wonder how well they see in color because it's not motion that's guiding him in.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Our RF spends a lot of his time actively hunting them and he is quite good at it. He can consistantly and accurately identify small ones hiding as inconspicuous lumps in a Hosta from at least 6" away.

Makes me wonder how well they see in color because it's not motion that's guiding him in.
I've noticed the same behavior in mine. Mine seems to spend a few minutes each morning "Hunting"

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Slugs and snails are regular foods many Hingebacks eat as well as Box turtles. There's many more chelonians as well as other reptiles that have these as main or partial dietary staple foods. I'm surprised you don't already know this. If they want to eat them they're a great food source.
I know there are species that eat them as part of their diet, and obviously they may get eaten by other torts incidentally if on leaves but I didn't know that sulcatas sought them out for food.
I don't know why that would surprise you, there's so much to learn about torts and I learn something new everyday here on the forum.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

I think they can see really well and in color. I know of two colors my little Russian enjoys and that's blue and red. I think he has a really good sense of smell too because he sniffs every blade of weeds before he eats. I think that's because he won't eat bugs or snails. But that's a Russian for you. They're picky little people.?