1 1/2 year old sulcata size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcthacker

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, I have a sulcata that is about 1 year and 4 months old. It hasn't grown just a whole lot since I got him a year ago. It is between 3 and 4 inches and was just under 3 inches when I got him. I know that this probably not normal, but I feed it the correct diet (mix of leafy greens, grasses, weeds, etc), ithas a heat lamp, uvb light, and a red light that stays on 24/7 for nighttime heat. It also gets to go out for a romp in the yard pretty regularly. Its set up is currently a 55 gal tank. Please let me know if anyone can think of anything, or let me know if this sounds normal (im just used to everyone saying they have a 2 year old that is 7-8 inches and that is far from what mine is) Thanks!

I've attached a photo too!

Attachments

• pers.jpg
    pers.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 399

SteveP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Royal Palm Beach, FL
My understanding they grow a lot in the first year then slow down. I have one that is only 2 months old and is a little over 2".

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome. some more people with advice for you will be on the way

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kcthacker:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

You are feeding the correct foods, but what are the temperatures in the habitat. It should be around 100 directly under the light with 85 or so on one end and room temp, but not cooler than 75 or so on the other end. The baby should get plenty of exercise...lots of walking back and forth. And he should be kept well-hydrated, with soaks if not every day, at least every other day.

If all is as it should be, then you probably just have a slow-growing tortoise. They do grow at different rates, just like all animals do.

Kcthacker

5 Year Member
My name is Kevin and I am in Lubbock Texas...the hot side of the enclosure is about 90 and the cool side is around 80 so I will bump up the temps a little...also, I soak the little guy about twice a week and provide it with a drinking bowl that can be accessed any time.

That's good news about the growth rates...so it's size isn't too abnormal?

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
My girl is a slow grower too. She just turned 4 and she is almost 9". It's funny because she eats really well. I give her two piles of collards and other vegies that are a little bigger than her (one in the morning and one at night) and she eats most of it, plus not to mention the grass and weeds she eats too.

Reactions: CAJ

Timmytort

5 Year Member
Yours is fine, Timmy just turned 3 and is about 9 inches and his little brother just turned 2 and about 6.5 inches. Timmys little brother is very big for his age i think and timmy is about normal. They go through growth spurts and grow really fast.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You can compare Sulcatas to others when it comes to size. If you look up DeanS he has pictures of he Sulcatas and there is big size difference in his torts from the same clutch and I am sure they all get the same diet. Some just grow faster than other for some reason.

I wouldn't worry, as long as yours is healthy you are good eventually it will have that growth spurt.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Gracious, mine's not even a year old and he looks about the same size... I think I just got a lardo though lol. I wouldn't be too concerned as long as he's still healthy and active.

C

Claireabbo

they have irregular growth. not all of them grow at the same rate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.