1.5 year old red foot wheezing

sue white

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central IL
my redfoot started this at about this age turned out to be the small sphagnum moss in her enclosure.Other than the wheezing no other signs of illness and once removed she got better.I doubt your using it but just saying

Mrs.Campos3

Sacramento
my redfoot started this at about this age turned out to be the small sphagnum moss in her enclosure.Other than the wheezing no other signs of illness and once removed she got better.I doubt your using it but just saying
We are using sphagnum moss. But nothing is in his/her nostrils. Can tortoise have allergies? Lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He/she like to hide under it. What would you suggest instead?
Moss gets eaten. It can get lodged in the throat or stuck in the gut. It's difficult if not impossible to digest.
Many of us have used it because it's excellent at retaining moisture. But it's just too dangerous.
I just use Orchid bark in the entire enclosure. And have a sleeping "houss" provided. Something like a flower pot placed in it's side and half buried.

Mrs.Campos3

Sacramento
Describe the "UV LIGHT".
I'm imaging the wrong type and it's too bright and it's causing distress.
You need a T5 HO strip florescent tube UVB. Or the newer LED strip UVB. Anything else. Like a MVB or a "3 in 1" or any manner of the coiled screw in UVB bulbs (Tubes) all have their own issues. And if you ask me they should all be avoided. In fact, a few hours of real sunlight a week can totally replace the need for any other source.
95 is too hot. Period. No area should be over 87. With 83 being perfect. Redfoot need warmth 24/7. Not high heat. Gentle lighting 12 hours a day. 12 hours of "night" with no light. Just a CHE if needed.
A proper UVB source as described above and constant humidity of over 76%.
Do you need help with the diet?
The 95 is directly under the CHE which I understand otherwise everything is in the 80s.

Mrs.Campos3

Sacramento
Moss gets eaten. It can get lodged in the throat or stuck in the gut. It's difficult if not impossible to digest.
Many of us have used it because it's excellent at retaining moisture. But it's just too dangerous.
I just use Orchid bark in the entire enclosure. And have a sleeping "houss" provided. Something like a flower pot placed in it's side and half buried.
He has a habba hut and we're planing on getting him something for the other side of his enclosure so maybe that will encourage him to go other places in there.