1.5 yr old Hermanns—possible issue with shell (rot? Maybe soft?)

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, MA
Okay I’m a constant worrier so bear with me, my little one avoids his uvb light (tube light, 24in long) so if we’re being honest he probably doesn’t get as much as he should. I noticed something the day before on his plastron (parallel to my thumb in picture) so I’ve been monitoring things. He’s still level in activity, eats everything I put out for him (good variety), drinks his water, and gets baths about 3-4 times a week. Now, today I did my usual exam of his shell, I pressed firmly but gently and found the slightest give. I’m panicking. Please help.

Attachments

• 7C0C0653-ABAA-4E5A-AA95-1B01D4B9A3E0.jpeg
    7C0C0653-ABAA-4E5A-AA95-1B01D4B9A3E0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • E304C76E-AD95-44BF-9850-897C3F2A45FA.jpeg
    E304C76E-AD95-44BF-9850-897C3F2A45FA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi there. I also have a Hermann’s tortoise (3 yrs old). I don’t see anything of concern with his shell in your photos. Do you have a Solarmeter to check the level of UV your light is emitting? It’s possible the height of the fixture/bulb may need to be changed if he is blatantly avoiding it. Is the UV fixture set up in the same spot as his basking area? Your tortoise will be more likely to sit under the UV lamp if it’s in the same spot as a basking area.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
If you have the uv on he will get it. Are you adding calcium to his diet? Lack of calcium can cause shell softness but it is a little, 2 in 3 times a week, also add a cuttlebone used by birds and available at pet shops he may ignore for months and then you notice it pecked. Also maintain a weekly weight log this will allow you visibility of growth or not.
Please read this and check set up and settings.....