1 year old Hermann's tortoise, still small for adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious_turtle

5 Year Member
I just found out that I am pregnant, and my family is recommending me that I should find home for my 1year old hermann's tortoise. He is still very small, size is about the credit card. No pyramiding, as I tried to ensure he had warmth and moisture in his enclosure, with correct diet. I will send the pictures of the tortoise later when I get home tonight. He comes out in the morning when I wake up to get fed, and he goes right back underground to sleep, most of the day.
Right home for this tortoise should be in warmer climate(i am located in Boston, very cold thus he needs to be indoors) where he can be housed outside....that would be ideal as I want him to be happy, in doors.
I am willing to send the tortoise via overnight shipping to the potential owner free of charge. Thanks.....!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
That's sad that you have to give up your tortoise, is there any way that you can talk them into letting you keep him? :p I PMed you though.

bharmm3

5 Year Member
I have a very nice set up with a cherry head tortoise and I think they would go very well together. My cherry head is around 2 inches, very healthy! And they would be about the same size! If you still have him and you think this would be suitable for him please get back to me! Thank you Brandon!

Very cool!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Candice:

There's no reason in the world why a pregnant woman can't keep a tortoise. You run absolutely no risk at all. Even after the baby is born, if you practice good husbandry and cleanliness, you can still keep the tortoise. If you love the tortoise and don't want to give it away, then don't. I find that family members who don't share the same love of tortoises that we do, just don't understand and most always try to talk us into giving them away. Tell me this, if your family had a pet would you even consider asking them to give it away for whatever reason? No, of course you wouldn't. It is very un-feeling of them to try to talk you out of your tortoise. Tortoises don't give pregnant women or new born babies any diseases.

I take in turtles and tortoises all the time where the story is that the woman is pregnant. This just really pushes my buttons. I hate it when this happens, because there is absolutely no reason for it.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I hate to sound like Debbie Downer, but, remember that a new adoptions means that you have to quarantine this tortoise for 4 to 6 months... So are you ready to set up a new enclosure and a vet visit to make sure that this new tortoise does not have parsites? Plus, you have to be concerned, all of the time, about cross contamination.

It would be nice if you could keep your little tortoise.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
emysemys said:
Hi Candice:

There's no reason in the world why a pregnant woman can't keep a tortoise. You run absolutely no risk at all. Even after the baby is born, if you practice good husbandry and cleanliness, you can still keep the tortoise. If you love the tortoise and don't want to give it away, then don't. I find that family members who don't share the same love of tortoises that we do, just don't understand and most always try to talk us into giving them away. Tell me this, if your family had a pet would you even consider asking them to give it away for whatever reason? No, of course you wouldn't. It is very un-feeling of them to try to talk you out of your tortoise. Tortoises don't give pregnant women or new born babies any diseases.

I take in turtles and tortoises all the time where the story is that the woman is pregnant. This just really pushes my buttons. I hate it when this happens, because there is absolutely no reason for it.

I agree.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
lisa127 said:
emysemys said:
Hi Candice:

I agree.

Me too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
bharmm3 said:
I have a very nice set up with a cherry head tortoise and I think they would go very well together. My cherry head is around 2 inches, very healthy! And they would be about the same size! If you still have him and you think this would be suitable for him please get back to me! Thank you Brandon!

Very cool!

Not a good idea to put a Hermann's tortoise in with redfooted tortoises. They require totally different care, besides the quarantine thing. Most of us here recommend not mixing species of tortoises in the same habitat.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree there is no reason for rehoming your tortoise because of the baby,now it might be difficult to have a newborn and a tortoise, but that is a whole other reason for it. You stand no chance of catching something as long as you practice basic hygiene. Personally I would hope you reconsider this move or at least think about it some more.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
My wife and I have had turtles since before she was pregnant and still do we did have to adopt our sliders out but that was because we could not afford to keep them at the time. I really do miss them. My daughter who is 3.5 years old has her own turtle he is an Eastern Mud Turtle she knows how to wash her hands and also use hand sanitizer. I figure if you are capable of raising your tortoise to this point and it is just the one you should be able to keep the tortoise and have the baby they aren't exclusive of each other. If you teach your mate (significant other) if they are willing to help they can also learn some of the basic care. I for example was going to school almost full time and had an almost full time job when my daughter was born. I'll admit it was hectic but it can be done.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
Curious_turtle said:
I just found out that I am pregnant, and my family is recommending me that I should find home for my 1year old hermann's tortoise. He is still very small, size is about the credit card. No pyramiding, as I tried to ensure he had warmth and moisture in his enclosure, with correct diet. I will send the pictures of the tortoise later when I get home tonight. He comes out in the morning when I wake up to get fed, and he goes right back underground to sleep, most of the day.
Right home for this tortoise should be in warmer climate(i am located in Boston, very cold thus he needs to be indoors) where he can be housed outside....that would be ideal as I want him to be happy, in doors.
I am willing to send the tortoise via overnight shipping to the potential owner free of charge. Thanks.....!

First of all CONGRATULATIONS & BEST WISHES WITH YOUR PREGNANCY!!!! I you haven't already found a new home for your tort, I would love to have him....my habitat is still in the making but it's 85-90% done. Please let me know if you're still looking for a home for him/her and I'll send you my phone number. Take care, Addie

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
If you havent found a home for the little guy I'm available I live in Houston tx where it is warm

Status
Not open for further replies.