1 year old picky sulcata choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
just wondering what a 1 year old sulcata is ready to eat? i feed mine spring mix and other grocery store greens, mazuri, and grassland tortoise.

if i mix the grassland tortoise in, he refuses to eat that day. so, i usually only try to offer a little once a week.

if i give him mazuri, i have to really mix his greens in or he'll pick out the mazuri and not eat any greens at all.

i have offered hay, shredded up very fine, but he refuses. i do mix it in sometimes with the mazuri and if he can't pick the mazuri out, he snubs the whole thing.

i have tried to offer him squash - he refuses.
he loves radish, but i don't feed it to him too often.
i have thought about trying to cut up a small pumpkin and see if he's interested, but have my doubts since he refuses the squash.

other than mazuri, he doesn't get really excited about anything. well, other than the cuttlebone which he eats up as needed and is always available.

is he just too young to be interested in most of these other foods??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No he's not too young. Your going to have to keep trying. The Mazuri, although a good product, isn't recommended for every day. More like twice a week. Try soaking the greens in for a while first. Then chopping very fine and mixing with a little Mazuri. Another thing you can try, is to soak the greens in some Mazuri water. Then chopping fine and mixing with Mazuri. If any of these works, then start making it more greens then Mazuri, until, you can feed just greens. Also try some grass, hibiscus, roses, rose of Sharon, dandelion mulberry, optunia cactus, mushrooms and try some pumpkin. Good luck, maybe others will have some ideas too.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
thanks for the ideas. i do soak greens some, but hadn't thought of doing it in the mazuri water. that's a good idea. also on your list, i didn't realize they could eat mushrooms. so, that's a new one for me to try. i ordered some cactus pads just this week but haven't received them yet. i have some grass seed i will plant today and see if i can get that going to add to his diet as well. thanks.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I feel for you because I have the same problem. And boy do I mean picky. One day we will eat kale, the next forget it. The only thing I can say is keep trying, I have to keep mixing mazuri in different things too. I've had to go as far as to plant a garden because its getting to expensive to buy stuff and throw it out cause she won't eat it. I did find out she will eat mushrooms, turnip greens, aloe Vera. But along with mazuri. The good thing is I'm slowly using less and less of the mazuri...

Status
Not open for further replies.