1 yr old Herman need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Hi I had Shelby just over a month now she lives in a viv but when its warm i take her outside and put her in a pen in the sun. She seems to spend about 6 to 7 hrs awake then goes to bed when she's outside i watch her and if she seem to get sleepy i bring her in she then takes her self off to bed, is this normal for a young tortoise she decided to go to bed at 3.45 i put the light on at 10 and turn it off at 10pm but she is only awake for half that time. She eats well and is gaining wieght she as put on 10g in the month i had her, i bath her every over day and give her vits and calcium she is fed on garden weeds she looks healthy but i worry about the time she goes to bed.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Mine get up in the morning, sun themselves until they're warm, graze for a while, and then are sleeping by noon most days. Around 4 or so they come back out to start grazing again and are usually in bed by 5 or 6. Hope that was someaht helpful for you.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I'd recommend turning the lights on earlier, leaving them on longer and turning them off earlier. A tortoise's daily routine and activity level is based primarily on two things, light and heat. The duration of light is important, as is the intensity or the amount of heat that light source produces. Tortoises basically get up with the sun, or very soon after it comes up. The first thing they usually do is bask in the morning sun to increase their body temperature to be able to function at a normal activity level. It is important for them to begin searching for food early in the day before the sun becomes to intense and produces too much heat. At that point they will often seek shelter and wait out or sleep through the mid day heat. Once the early evening comes the sun is lower in the sky, the temperatures start to cool off a little and they will usually once again go out looking for food for a short time before retiring for the night. I have also found that this is quite often when many of my tortoises drink, possibly because the water has also cooled off in their bowls.

My Hermann's tortoises and others are outdoors 24/7 and their activity level and duration is based on the sun and the amount of light and heat that it produces (or doesn't) each day. This time of year in the Northern Hemisphere there is about 14-15 hours of light per day. If your tortoise is kept primarily indoors I would suggest keeping the lights on about as many hours as it is light outdoors in your area. If you don't already I would also suggest putting the lights on a timer so that the times that it goes on and off and the duration of light are consistent each day.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
I'd recommend turning the lights on earlier, leaving them on longer and turning them off earlier. A tortoise's daily routine and activity level is based primarily on two things, light and heat. The duration of light is important, as is the intensity or the amount of heat that light source produces. Tortoises basically get up with the sun, or very soon after it comes up. The first thing they usually do is bask in the morning sun to increase their body temperature to be able to function at a normal activity level. It is important for them to begin searching for food early in the day before the sun becomes to intense and produces too much heat. At that point they will often seek shelter and wait out or sleep through the mid day heat. Once the early evening comes the sun is lower in the sky, the temperatures start to cool off a little and they will usually once again go out looking for food for a short time before retiring for the night. I have also found that this is quite often when many of my tortoises drink, possibly because the water has also cooled off in their bowls.

My Hermann's tortoises and others are outdoors 24/7 and their activity level and duration is based on the sun and the amount of light and heat that it produces (or doesn't) each day. This time of year in the Northern Hemisphere there is about 14-15 hours of light per day. If your tortoise is kept primarily indoors I would suggest keeping the lights on about as many hours as it is light outdoors in your area. If you don't already I would also suggest putting the lights on a timer so that the times that it goes on and off and the duration of light are consistent each day.

After i posted Shelby came back out after two hrs and fed again for 30mins before going to sleep. I will start and turn her light on earlier i have not got a timer yet but will get one. When i first got her i was getting up really early to turn light on but it was killing me so i ajusted the times so she was still getting 12hrs but was later. I will start and get up earlier the sun comes up here about 5am i am not sure i will be able to cope with that but will set my alarm for 7 am and turn here her off at 9pm. thanks for the advice.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Haha, I cannot help asking if you do not have kids?! ;)

I am glad Shelby is eating and healthy. I don't know how old she is, but remember that (human) children and teenagers need more sleep than adults because they are growing. :p

The most important thing is that Shelby is active and engaging in appropriate torty pursuits while she is awake. :D

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
Haha, I cannot help asking if you do not have kids?! ;)

I am glad Shelby is eating and healthy. I don't know how old she is, but remember that (human) children and teenagers need more sleep than adults because they are growing. :p

The most important thing is that Shelby is active and engaging in appropriate torty pursuits while she is awake. :D

Hi sorry for the late reply i have had laptop trouble, Yer i have kids my oldest is 20 middle one 17 and youngest 14. She is active when awake and i was taking to my kids and said i thought she was sleeping so much because she was a baby lol, but thought i would check on here because i know it can be a sign of illness . xx

Status
Not open for further replies.