1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

10 month old sulcata size

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by Kennabear914, Jan 12, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Kennabear914

Kennabear914 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Wisconsin
    I’m 17 and live at home still so whatever enclosure I make for him will only be for the next few years until I get my own place where I plan to build something permanent. I was thinking Rubbermaid’s or something but I have cats and don’t want an open top. I’m sure I’ll come up with something tho.
  2. Stuart S.

Stuart S. Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Paris, Texas
    Keeping your enclosure fully enclosed is actually much better as it holds the heat and humidity in. There’s several cheap methods of building a fully enclosed terrarium for your little one. Rubbermaids, old shelves, just google search homemade tortoise enclosures and you’ll find several ideas.
    Kennabear914 likes this.
  3. Kennabear914

Kennabear914 New Member

Wisconsin
    Thanks for the help and I’ll keep the forum posted with new pics of the enclosure as I get it!
    Stuart S. likes this.
  4. Stuart S.

Stuart S. Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Paris, Texas
    Yes please do, these folks on here saved my tortoise’s life. I was super overwhelmed at first, but you will get a routine down soon enough!
    vladimir and Kennabear914 like this.
  5. Karen Covill

Karen Covill Member

South Carolina
    I have two red-foot tortoises. I got them as hatchlings from a reputable breeder who has been very helpful with this very novice tort owner. I have a question about substrate. Currently, they are in a 40-gallon breeder tank, and there is coconut fiber as substrate from ZooMed - recommended by the breeder. I would like to switch over to cypress instead because it doesn't seem as "powdery." My little ones are about 3" long now, and they really burrow in the bedding. Will they be able to burrow like that in the cypress? They have a heat lamp on one side, UVB on the other (the "cool" side), a hide and some plants that also provide a "hide" area. They love those plants (artificial). I just got them a little "pond" which they ignore. The basking side is kept at between 90 and 100 degrees, and the "cool" side is between 80 and 90 degrees. I recently added a fogger which ensures humidity in the proper range (according to the temp/humidity monitor). They are eating Mazuri, peppers, flowers, Romaine and several other greens along with meal worms and grapes which they love. They have almost doubled in size in the past few months. So, will they be okay with the cypress over the coconut? Thanks, Karen

Attached Files:

6. Karen Covill

Karen Covill Member

South Carolina
    I should also mention that they get a 20-minute soak in the kitchen sink every evening, and in the photo, they are eating their after-soak dinner on a dish cloth on the kitchen counter. LOL I love to watch them eat. They are always supervised until they are in their tank.
  7. OMary

OMary Member

Moscow, ID
    He is likely soaking himself because you are using a screen top that doesn't keep humidity in. Read through the care guide. I'd post the link if I knew how. LOL He needs 80% humidity.
  8. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
    OMary likes this.
  9. GrandmaTurtle

GrandmaTurtle New Member

I am first time new owner too but from what i have been told it will be years before you can tell sex. I've read 6+ years or about 10 inches in size...funny quirk in nature!
  10. Benjtort

Benjtort Active Member

Texas
    My sulcata was at Least 6 inches at ten months old and 5 at 5 months old. All of them vary in how fast they grow but remember they do not stay that size forever.