114 days later and still no poop

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
So my tort's just come out of a long RI, I can now see that it's almost entirely gone. But I've realised that the last time he pooped was 3 March 2022. It's been 114 days since he's last pooped! In 114 days I've tried over a dozen hour long soaks, and on other times half an hour soaks. I've corrected his diet. Loads of times I've added cucumber or lettuce, but nothing. (Different salad types form a large part of his diet, so that should also have helped)
The last time he pooped was after he got a baytril injection. He released what looked to be everything in his system, so I'm not sure if his gut flora is depleted. He still drinks water. There are no vets in SA that specialize in torts, so that adds to the problem. Any help is appreciated 20220625_101918.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Has he been eating?

Are you weighing him regularly?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Has he been eating?

Are you weighing him regularly?
After the initial baytril shock he stopped eating, and started to ramp up slowly. He's now eating much more.
I way him now and then but not regularly. Before the injection he wayed 144g, now he's on 137g

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
That is a long time for constipation. Although cucumber or carrot is not recommended you could try add small piece of cucumber to the fresh green leaves you provide to see if that helps. Another idea is slighty cook carrot, puree similar to baby food and add a teaspoon to warm water soak to see if that helps motions. Good luck let us know

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He may benefit from some probiotics like benebac or nutribac mixed in with his greens. It restores the gut flora to improve digestion. Also you can put him in a closed tub of warm shallow water and take him for a drive.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Well... I find it incredibly ironic that on the day I finally post about my torts constipation... he let rip a gargantuan poop, in his enclosure, the first time I've ever seen him do it
Not for the faint of heart
View attachment 346454
Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate it!
It's beautiful!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If this happens again and the long soaks don't seem to work, take him for a car ride. A car ride seems to work everytime even when not wanted. Works on a tort that is possibly egg bound too. At least it did one of mine a few years ago lol.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Well... I find it incredibly ironic that on the day I finally post about my torts constipation... he let rip a gargantuan poop, in his enclosure, the first time I've ever seen him do it
Not for the faint of heart
View attachment 346454
Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate it!
Wow - that is magnificent !! He must have sensed your anxiety telepathically ! I am very glad he is so much better.
Zola comes out in the car with us every day, and never poops when there - he maybe realises he wouldn't get the chance to come out again if he did.
Congratulations.
Angie

MaNaAk

Southend
If this happens again and the long soaks don't seem to work, take him for a car ride. A car ride seems to work everytime even when not wanted. Works on a tort that is possibly egg bound too. At least it did one of mine a few years ago lol.
It certainly did with Daisy on the way to the vet's!

MaNaAk