14 inch sulcata tortoise. Male or female?

Magdrive

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington, NC
My sulcata that I purchase last summer suppose to be a female is acting like a male. I put him or her with my adult pair yesterday and she immediately ran over and started butting my male and female. The little 14 inch guy has flat bottom shell, small gular and the tail not that long but I have never seen females be that aggressive before. I think she is a he...what do yall think?

20150719_194242.jpg 20150719_194246.jpg 20150719_194252.jpg 20150719_194311.jpg 20150719_194317.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
looks female to me. Females can be just as territorial as males.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Still too young to be 100%. Looks female-ish, BUT it could go either way. At 14" they are just barely starting to reach maturity.

I have seen super aggressive females. I have one. She tried to kill any other tortoise she saw. At Yvonne's suggestion, I put her little 8 pound butt in with the 80+ pound adults. She chased after the females like a little Tasmanian Devil huffing and puffing, but they ignored her and just went about their business. She confronted the big male and he shoved her back about 4 feet then mounted and humped her. Ever since then she's been much nicer and gets along fine with the three other sulcatas she now lives with.

I think they sometimes get this way when they are raised all alone as mine was. I also think there may be a genetic component to this as her father was literally a sulcata assassin. Her father killed at least three other males before the owner finally decided to separate him.

Magdrive

5 Year Member
Washington, NC
Im I'm still waiting to see the pee pee come out. Thats the 100% sign. Thanks for the advice guys..