150lb. Sulcata new environment what temp to keep new house ?

Kevn Horton

Location (City and/or State)
Tehachapi, ca
I started out with "dog house" type shelters for the tortoises. It got old very quickly - propping open the lid to lean in and clean out the poop. I'm old, and leaning in isn't easy on my back. So over time I have converted all my dog house type shelters to actual sheds that I can walk into and rake up all the poop. Much easier on me and my back. My sheds are very well insulated, with rigid foam both on the inside and on the outside of the 2x4 framework. They're tall enough for me to stand up in. For the coldest nights I have a 250 watt brooder lamp hanging from the ceiling. The light hangs about 4' off the ground, so there's no worry about burning the tortoise's shell. The lamp, combined with the pig blanket on the floor keep the ambient temperature in the shed right where I want it to be. I have several different species of tortoise and having a red light on at night has never been a problem with my tortoises. Once they go in for the night, all they do is sleep. They're not interested in eating anything that the red light might make look like food.
Thank you for your input

Kevn Horton

Tehachapi, ca
Then again...there's always the possibilty that this girl (if she is a girl) is one of Brad's...apparently he and John pushed a lot of adult overstock! Remember, MONSTRO!'s mom was 189 pounds...8 years ago...willing to bet she's broken 200...
20rsle8.jpg
just got the Vet report from the owner and wt. is 151 lb and she is a she and in great health she is now owned by the orig. owners daughter not sure what the age I forgot to ask but I will I will go pick her up as soon as I have the she-shed set up in a week or so and I will post photos.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Do you mind if I ask where she's coming from...a
breeder? Single tortoise home? You're in Tehachapi...is she local to you? Pleasee post photos once you get her...

Kevn Horton

Tehachapi, ca
Do you mind if I ask where she's coming from...a
breeder? Single tortoise home? You're in Tehachapi...is she local to you? Pleasee post photos once you get her...
she is coming from a single owner. she is coming from the LA area. I will post as soon as I have pen all set up most likely go get her next weekend.

KarenMitchell

Santa Clarita, Ca
By the time you do all that work on the shed, you might as well just build a good box of the correct dimensions. I've tried to use sheds. They don't work well. Too drafty, too tall inside and just not designed for our purposes. Here are two examples of boxes that work perfectly in our climate:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

Ceramic heat emitters and red bulbs are no good for larger tortoises. You'll end up slow cooking the carapace while the bottom and core stay too cool. Pig blankets and oil heaters work great on a separate thermostat. You can see that above in the two links.

Are you sure its female? Are you sure of the weight? It is very rare for a female to get over 80 pounds. I only know of one female that large out of the 1000's that I've seen over the years. What is the length of this tortoise? Got any pics? Pics of the anal scutes and tail would confirm or deny the sex.

Horse mat on the bottom is not a bad idea. That would work, but they are stinky. With an insulated floor, you won't need it.

I set my thermostats to 70 when summer days are 90+ degrees. In winter, I set my thermostat up to about 86, so that this tropical species has a warm place to go on cold days and nights.

Here is a sheet detailing what you should feed your new baby:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
I agree with tom. I followed his plan and built a box all by myself. I did ad 4 handles and 4 industrial wheels. It took me a few days to do but my Salcutta female goes in every night. The 1st week she didn't go in. I thought i did all thet work for nothing but then I lead her in with food a few times and she went in on her own. Now she sleeps on that pig blanket in her safe & sturdy box that should last a lifetime.

Kevn Horton

Tehachapi, ca
24059031_10212878453389279_7085326397362161888_n.jpg 24174645_10212878453949293_3694238383908692020_n.jpg 24176829_10212878454429305_94904867773814191_n.jpg 24296510_10212878453789289_3404786314931230789_n.jpg 24312569_10212878453189274_1625862616309357912_n.jpg Hello everyone, we just got her home and I wanted to post a few Photos of my 130Lb little girl "SHELLY twinkle toes" I am not steping on her just using my size 13 foot as a ref. point for size and the pumpkin in the photo is the same size as a Volleyball.

Kevn Horton

Tehachapi, ca
I did not get a photo yet but My 16 yr old daughter was curled up in the fetal position next to shelly on the lawn and they are the same size and weight

Bambam1989

East Texas
Can we see "her" underside? I agree that those are big gulars for a female.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes...i agree with MarkW's observations. Mighty large gulars which would be better suited on a male. The vet could be incorrect. Yep, we need some plastron/tail pix.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Judging by the size of your foot...I don't think he weighs much more than 80-85 pounds. Put a tape on him...and weigh him yourself

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sorry Kevn. We are probably all bumming you out. Its just that we all dig big sulcatas and especially a female one that is much larger than normal. The largeness of sulcatas is one of the most appealing things about them.

Your tortoise is a great looking tortoise, and I hope you enjoy having it around for many years regardless of the weight or sex.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Very nice & healthy looking Sulcata. They can be loads of fun & constant entertainment. Despite their many behaviors ; bulldozing down fences, dogging massive tnnules & trying to drive anyone & anything out of their territory. :)

I took one off Craigslist a year or so ago. A 35lb girl they called Sally. Brought her home & after several days was holding her up while my gal washed off her shell & plastron. Well ...
the water & attention musta stimulated a reaction ‘ cause this huge thing emerged frightening my gal friend.

So ...Sally was renamed “Sal” & all is well. He’s now 50 lbs & dug a monstrous tunnel under my backyard shed. He also has his very own soccer ball he pushes around the yard & humps on occasion.

Welcome to the world of Sulcata’s. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Judging by the size of your foot...I don't think he weighs much more than 80-85 pounds. Put a tape on him...and weigh him yourself
I agree. He doesn't look bigger than my 110lb sulcata, but then, it's always hard to judge from a picture.