16 months and 266

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern, USA
Igloo is 16 months old and 266 grams or 9.38 ounces or roughly 0.5 pound - I'm trying to gauge if my sully is at the appropriate weight for his age and if he is on the larger or smaller side (or just right!). At his late Vet weigh in (last week) he was 257 grams. Does anyone have a sully about the same age?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's small for his age, but don't worry about it. Some of them start slow and then just catch up. It matters for nothing. Just enjoy him, give him the best of everything, and you'll have an amazing pet for decades.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Thats small for 16 months. I would think it should be close to 3 pounds at that age.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
Really?! I'm shocked - I wonder if I was told the wrong age? I was told he was a "yearling" but the invoice that arrived said 16 months...however, when I first spoke to the breeder he told me he was born with a batch of torts that were 6 months! GREAT.

I asked the breeder for one at least 6 months old (I was wary of hatchlings). He sent me the picture below. I was told the torts on the left were 6 months old and the torts on the right were 9months to a year - I chose Igloo circled in red (in the 9-12month box), and he told me he was a yearling (and charged me more), but when the invoice arrived it clearly says 16 month old tortoise. Any guesses as to his actual age? Do you think its more likely that he's only 6 months?

...either that or he didn't send me the tortoise circled in red. Now looking at the photo, that looks like the same size box that Igloo soaks in - and he doesn't take up anywhere near the amount of space those others pictured do! I think that's it - I paid for a yearling but got a 6 month old tort and not the one I wanted.

Attachments

• ErinLord.jpg
    ErinLord.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 74

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no way any of us would know. PM me the name of the breeder or seller.

Either way, your baby seems to be growing just fine now and you seem to have a healthy one. Ten years from now when he's 100 pounds, the extra few bucks won't matter in the least.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
I could be wrong - but I think this is the tort I got, Igloo (circled in blue) when the tort I was promised was circled in red. I made the red circle and sent it to the breeder so there wouldn't be any confusion as to which tort I was paying for. UGH. It isn't just being overcharged, we planned for an outdoor enclosure to be built around a yearling and now we can't even put him outside for another year (based on our climate).

Attachments

• ErinLord2.jpg
    ErinLord2.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 42

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I think you can go ahead with your plans for an outdoor enclosure for your tortoise. He will continue to grow and in a few months he will be ready to spend a good part of his day outside. Just be sure you protect the enclosure from any possible predators. Until he gets to be about 10 inches long you will want to bring him in at night. By the end of the summer you will be amazed at his growth.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Its a bummer that you didn't get what you ordered. Have you tried contacting the breeder and pointing out the discrepancy? Maybe they'll be willing to refund the amount that was overcharged.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Clementine said:
It isn't just being overcharged, we planned for an outdoor enclosure to be built around a yearling and now we can't even put him outside for another year (based on our climate).

A few months difference in age won't have anything top do with this. Just build your outdoor enclosure and use it during fair weather. I do this with all of mine from hatchlings until they are 8-10" and move outside full time. Whether your baby was six months or 16 months old won't matter.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
Thanks guys! The important thing is, Igloo is adored. I received a few PM's asking if I wanted to return him and that thought was not, nor would it ever be considered. He's a member of our family and is staying right here. I'm glad we get to start construction on the enclosure!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
He is adorable. No matter which one you received, they all look so healthy I couldn't believe you were concerned. But, it would be a good thing to know how old your baby really is. After all, there's a big difference between 6 months and 16 months. It's probably just a mix-up. Take good care of your baby and keep his shell smooth.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Tom said:
There is no way any of us would know. PM me the name of the breeder or seller.

Either way, your baby seems to be growing just fine now and you seem to have a healthy one. Ten years from now when he's 100 pounds, the extra few bucks won't matter in the least.

Heck, at 5 years he will look like this one you'll never even think of the extra money! This is WalkingRock when he was 5, the little one is Rocky and 1 year younger. (I think he was about 15-20 lbs then)and I thought he was HUGE then....:D

WalkingRockNewFriend002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.