18 inch long tortoise species?

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Yep and if you want to build something in the garden you have to think about the coast which you'll get when the winter comes and you have to warn it up..
So if you still want a tortoise start with a smaller Mediterranean species.

M

Maggie Cummings

I do have room to build a shed in the garden and I would love a sulcata, however I would find it hard to have enough space for one and when they get full grown it would be very difficult for me to transport the sulcata anywhere because of their weight.
Heck, I'm 70 yrs old and never had problems finding someone to lift my big Sulcata. People want to help

Southern England
It would be impractical and unfair on a sulcata for me to have one. I would love to have one and I am sure that they are extremely social but at the moment it would simply be difficult to house one. I am thinking that a red foot will probably be the best choice for me at the moment since they are slightly smaller however they get a reasonable size which is what I would want. I can only get one tortoise which means that whichever tortoise I get, I must be happy with. :D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Try to ensure you have your enclosure and all the equipment you will need ready before your tort arrives it will be easier for you and less stressful for the tort if the temps and humidity are right.
Check what you need for the species you choose here before you spend too much on unsafe or unsuitable equipment the pets shops tend to sell, you could save money.
e.g. NO coiled or long thin loop cfl type bulbs - can cause eye damage
- shallow plant saucers are safer than fancy water dishes with steep sides
- a digital temp gun and digital humidity and temp gauge with a probe are more accurate than the dial sorts pets stores sell.
- Mercury vapour bulbs give heat light and UVB in one bulb so are easy to use, (but tis just personal preference other prefer tubes.)
- The Range is often cheaper than Pets at Home or independent pet shops for equipment like wide domes. Amazon may be cheaper again, so shop around
You will need quite a lot of money to buy all the equipment to start with I think I spent about £200 when I first took my tort in and that was without a table or viv. Hopefully your parents will help with that.

Last edited:
Southern England
Yes, Thankyou. I have a viv, heat bulb, temp gun, shallow plant saucers and a range shop handy already:) because I have lizards. I was just wondering with the substrate for a redfoot, whether soil that you can get from a garden centre would be ok for the main body of the substrate with coconut coir ontop?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Here in the UK you will prob need night heat for some species too.
I use a CHE which just gives heat as torts need darkness to sleep and run it through a thermostat to keep night temps even. Bought those in the Range - cost about £55 for both and I use a wide dome with it so another £25.
I'm sure a Redfoot keeper will advise on best substrate but I believe they like high humidity; there is caresheet in the Tortoise Library

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Redfoots are cool! I use coco coir which I buy at Ikea. Remember, they like it humid (80%) and warm!

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
So are you spraying your red foots enclosure 2 or 3 times a day, or are you using a humidifier?

Neither :) I have a closed enclosure. Once in a while I pour water in the substrate (in a corner), so the bottom layer is humid and the top is only slightly moist.
For me, a humidifier would make it too wet (they are quit sensitive to shell rot), but I know some members love them.

Spraying won't do much good, especially if you have an open topped enclosure.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Cool, congratulations! Do you have any pictures?

The Tortoise Library is a good website with tips for care. And The Tortoise Table has a lot of info on food items.

Enjoy!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Congratulations on your new tort he s lovely, I hope he settles in well.
If you post pics of your enclosure members can advise on any changes you could make (if necessary) to make sure your tort is happy and healthy.
A useful thing I was told is
too cold + humidity = sick tort
correct warm temps + humidity = healthy tort