1st deco for my indian stars enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
France
this is my enclosure for my little stars.
- Terrarium Herptek 1.50 meters x 0.70 meters
- Tube UV Trixies UVA UVB 6.0
- Ceramic heat spot 60W in the middle
- Heat and light spot Exo terra Basking spot 75W front-right of the terra
- Spot hallogene 50W Trixies back -right of the terra
- Hygrometry : In hot zone about 40% in cold zone 65-70%
- Temperatures middle of the terra 28°C cold zone 24-25°C hot zone 36°C
The deco is a beginning i want at final make as natural as possible with lot of plant.
If you have any thing to tell me about don't hesit, i'm sure members with experience with stars could give me good critic and anyway all the critic are good to take because there are constructives.
I wish you will like because i'm very interest about the community (or maybe could i say "the family")'s opinion

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It looks really nice. They only thing I would add, is maybe a couple hides on the cooler end and a larger water dish or a second one. Unless they bith can fit in the one they have. Doesn't look like it, but not always clear to see size in a pic.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
Ok thanks for your infos that can help me to have a better place for them.
In the waterdish they can be together but your are right i will buy a larger one.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
I would check over that bamboo plant you have in there. I remember reading they were poisonous. Check out the enclosure section and the plant link at the top of the threads. This way you can add stuff they can eat :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I think it looks great! I might switch to a more enclosed hide, but that is personal preference. My torts like their hides to be more secluded and dark. They also like to climb on them so I make sure they are very sturdy.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Beautiful!! Your torts will be very happy there.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love the log hides. Boy I hope the bamboo is okay, as I thought it looked awesome against the wall as you have it. Over all you have a beautiful setup for some beautiful tortoises!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
It is a nice enclosure. I love it!

Can I know what the plants you put inside?

And for other members, is bamboo shoot and leaves okay for the torts to eat? Actually I have the similar idea to arrange some bamboo beside the wall.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Looks great. I wouldnt worry about the bamboo they wont touch it. I use bamboo in a lot of my enclosures. The large stars wont even bother with it. They love to hide under it though. The only species I know that can and will eat it is manouria, yniphora, and radiated.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
tortadise said:
Looks great. I wouldnt worry about the bamboo they wont touch it. I use bamboo in a lot of my enclosures. The large stars wont even bother with it. They love to hide under it though. The only species I know that can and will eat it is manouria, yniphora, and radiated.

Thanks for sharing. I also just seek some info in this forum. Looks like the bamboo in the star enclosure is fake bamboo species which is poisonous. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
No the bamboo is a real one, the others plants are "a crassula", "a little bonsai ficus"(but i'm not sure if this one is good, anyway they can't eat it they are to small), "a chlorophytum" and "herb for cat".
I have just a doubt about the bonsai ficus, but to complete this i will check other thread to learn wich plant are good.
Thanks a lot for your messages.

Spikeleebd

5 Year Member
i think you should put a blocker in front of the glass so that the tort doesn't run into the glass

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
They are too small to see through the glass because the substract is 6-7cm down than the glass.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Julius25 said:
No the bamboo is a real one, the others plants are "a crassula", "a little bonsai ficus"(but i'm not sure if this one is good, anyway they can't eat it they are to small), "a chlorophytum" and "herb for cat".
I have just a doubt about the bonsai ficus, but to complete this i will check other thread to learn wich plant are good.
Thanks a lot for your messages.

OK that's great. Me myself have problem identifying plants from english language forum and translating them into my local language. I want to have a lot of plants in my enclosure, but not really sure what to purchase.

So far things that I am pretty sure of and available here are hibiscus and opuntia. I really need to id more edible plants for torts :)

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
It's effectivly not easy to translate in english the plant name. :s
I want have a lot of plant in my enclosure too.
Is there any post on the forum with plants good for indian stars enclosure ?
I know that (sorry i can't translate in engliosh term) Echeveria, Chlorophytum, Sphaigne are good for enclosure.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
Thank you. :)
I actually think about some little amelioration to make it as natural as possible.
For exemple i put "testumix seed" in a part of the terrarium to let them grow naturaly.
I will try to make a little relief with the ground.
I will buy a bigger water dish and put some duckweed in it.
I will keep you update when some of this idea will be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.