2.2 K. spekii, still no eggs

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
So here are the two pair of K. spekii I bought from Doug Dix about two years later, all have had significant weight gain. I was figuring there might be eggs this year, but so far none. Any comments of their size for capability to lay eggs, all you hingeback people? First marked vertebral is group one, second marked vertebral is group two, boys are black dots females are red dots, they are pretty faded at this point, but now I made the photo record of them with their designations.

2015-04-15 09.55.11.jpg 2015-04-15 10.07.30.jpg 2015-04-15 10.21.12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
View attachment 126666 View attachment 126667 View attachment 126668
So here are the two pair of K. spekii I bought from Doug Dix about two years later, all have had significant weight gain. I was figuring there might be eggs this year, but so far none. Any comments of their size for capability to lay eggs, all you hingeback people? First marked vertebral is group one, second marked vertebral is group two, boys are black dots females are red dots, they are pretty faded at this point, but now I made the photo record of them with their designations.

I have the same problem with mine. It's 1,1 full adult the female is very heavy and strong for spekii. The male is old without any colors on his shell. He isn't very active anymore and doesn't show any activities in breeding. Hopefully he will start this spring maybe but I don't know. If not I have to buy a new young male because many people said that the problem could be the age of him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have either of you tried keeping the sexes separate for a month or so, then putting the males together for a bit to get the testosterone flowing, and the put the pairs back together?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Have either of you tried keeping the sexes separate for a month or so, then putting the males together for a bit to get the testosterone flowing, and the put the pairs back together?

For me I put them separately but he still doesn't go active and I haven't got a second male for keep their testosterone level up.. I don't it's very difficult to get them here especially females or pairs..

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have found that my only egg laying females are 750-825 gram specimens. Quite large. I do have some that are about this size too Will. Never had ova from them. The only times I've caught the males breeding the females is with an additional male placed into the enclosure and weeks of spray downs and very hot days.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I have found that my only egg laying females are 750-825 gram specimens. Quite large. I do have some that are about this size too Will. Never had ova from them. The only times I've caught the males breeding the females is with an additional male placed into the enclosure and weeks of spray downs and very hot days.

Wow my female weights over 1 kilo what a female.. When you say 750-825 is large..

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I'd imagine they can lay sooner for sure. But out my 12 I've only had eggs from the biggens. Don't really have any in between either. They're smaller or huge.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Thanks for the clue @tortadise and @juli11 . Way back before my return to school I had 1.1 K. spekii, and all though I don't have a record or recall their weight, it seems they were not near 1 Kilo at all. @Yvonne G I have co-housed the males to gether, the female together, all together, but the default housing is 2 x 1.1. I think sometime this year I will make an enclosure more suitable to shifting them around with less disruption for their day to day life.

The males have mounted the females off and on, I have no idea if they actually mated.