2 adult males, should i get another? (slight bullying)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
i received 2 adult makes together in a 50g rubbermaid tub about 2 years ago. one is 6" and the other is 5". i believe they're not the same exact species because one is flat and round and the other is domed and oval :D i was told they were male and in my further research i agreed.

at first the smaller one would mount the larger one, but i believe that was him demonstrating his dominance in a larger enclosure, because he has not done it since first being moved.

now all he does is eat out of the larger ones dish. i feed them on opposite sides of the enclosure and he'll walk to the others. the larger one has started pushing the smaller one around a bit, like on the basking rock and off his food dish.

they live together in a 5'-4' dirt and peat moss enclosure. they have access to 4 burrows, 2 hay/log hides, a basking spot of 2', plenty of loose dirt to dig in and a corner of clover growing (when the allow it), a 1' wide terra cotta water dish. they aren't together except to bask and even then they don't sit next to the other.

the only problem i can see is the food. although i know there are a lot of problems that aren't so obvious, the one being bullied is actually healthier, friendlier, gains weight, eats and poops fine and like i said, he does push the other one around occasionally.

so my question is, should i get another male or just separate them?

I've separated them before, but it messed their schedule up i guess because i couldn't get them out of their holes to eat when it was time and they honestly did nothing but sleep when i was around. when they were together, they actually had a bedtime and would both be awake until the light went off not just when there wasn't food out.

I'm willing to separate them again, but would getting another male and a larger enclosure have a negative affect?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recommend you separate them. They are not happy that way. It would also be a good idea to post some pics and get them identified.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would separate them if they were mine, They don't really want or need companionship, so in my view it make no practical sense to keep them together. Adding another male would most likely result in three fighters and more fighting, not less. Just my view point on the matter.

stinax182

5 Year Member
alright, thanks everyone!
i wasn't sure if 3 was a number that would even things out or not.
and i can post pictures in a bit, my phone won't upload pictures lol.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The three number refers to 1 male 2 females, to alleviate some of the stress from the males, 3 males would not really work.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Hey, hey, we have a Veiled, too!

Getting another male would just make things worse... I concur with those who said above that it would be best to separate them. They'll adjust to a new schedule quickly - they might be more active together, but it is also more stressful to them, so in the long run, not beneficial.

Having multiple females (similar size) or a male with at least 2 females works, but 2 males usually means a lot of conflict and fighting. Food competition is normal behavior, but it does cause stress.

Good luck!

stinax182

5 Year Member
nice! :)

and I'll post pictures when i can so i can have everyone sex them. they each have a long tail with a spur on the end and hold it far to the side, so i believe they're males.

Status
Not open for further replies.