2 baby redfoot tortoises

ashantwine2212

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have had my baby redfoot tortoises for about a month now. I'm having some issues finding the right information on how to properly care for them. I worry about them constantly and try to make sure I know what I'm doing so they're happy and healthy. My questions are:
What is the best diet to feed them?
How can I prevent their eyes closing so often- they'll close them and not open them or eat until after I soak them in water, sometimes not even then?
How can I raise the humidity in the enclosure? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453389394.252058.jpg

This is Tuck and Carolina

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
Most eye issues are caused by the wrong type of light being used. Please include a photo of your lighting type as soon as you can.
Blinding can be permanent.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, they are beautiful little torts!
If you look under the redfoot section of Species Specific you will find lots of good information. There is also a caresheet in the Tortoise Library I believe - if I find it I will post the link for you.
ZEROILOT is an experienced redfoot keeper so he may be right about the lights, If you are using a coiled or long thin loop cfl type of bulb then please get rid of it straight away as these can damage torts eyes and make them ill.
Your torts dish is a little steep for them so if you sink it level with the substrate then it will be easier for them to access the food. They can be a drowning hazard for them if used for water too - many of us use cheap terracotta plant saucers. Also keep your eye out for one tort becoming more dominant and bullying the other which is usually the case with pairs of most species. Looking forward to seeing more of your new additions.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I've been raising torts for 16 years and I don't think there is a better place for info. Or better people anywhere ! But you'll have to find that out for your self . I hope you feel at home with us like I do !
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453399613.340226.jpg

ashantwine2212

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453417008.330453.jpg
This is the bulb I'm using. Bought it from a reptile store in Jacksonville Florida.
This is the lampImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453417062.195003.jpg

And thank you for your take on the food dish. I was wondering that myself. They go from time to time without eating even if I put food in front of them. I'll change the food dish asap

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Hello and welcome to you and your two friends.

Might be too hot/intense..... 160W is a strong bulb. How high above the enclosure is the bulb? what type of temps are you getting at shell height?

For diet, Redfoots have a wide range of options. Variety is key. Dark leafy greens (kale, collards, mustard, turnip) spring mix,raddichio, mango, banana, kiwi, papaya, various cactus, hibiscus......

What level of humidity are you getting in enclosure?

You are definitely in the right place, research, ask questions and apply what you learn here; your torts will do great.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
And, most will advise NOT too keep tortoises in pairs. There will inevitably be dominance and aggression issues, some of which may not be obvious.

Your torts are still young, so you should be OK for now, but definitely keep in mind you will eventually need to separate them.

Best of luck

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot don't require a great deal of heat. (80-88 degrees.)
They also don't like very bright light.
They like to be very humid and warm.
They do well single and in groups, but not in pairs.
However, that is NOT one of the "problem" lights. So that's a good thing.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome to the Forum! Your babies are gorgeous! I keep Redfoots too, mine are little bigger than yours and I've have then since June'15, dine my share of mistakes and gone through "growing pains" enough to feel confident about sharing with newcomers. I think 160w is way too strong. The type of bulb is ok, it's just probably just too much. I've learned that most of the issues with baby torts stem from their environment. Could you post picture of you entire enclosure with the heat elements (what you use for nighttime heat), what are your temperature readings in bright/warm side of the enclosure, shady/cooler side, directly under basking light (at the substrate level) and inside the hide where they sleep? All those temperature readings for daytime and nighttime . What do you use to measure the temps? What are the dimensions of the enclosure. If you have smartphone you can just take quick snapshots of all that stuff and post, it'd make it quick and easy for us to try help you. How old/big are your babies? Do you weigh them? Most of us keep track of our babies' growth and weight gain, this is a good indicator of how effective we are as the keepers. You may also check out threads specific to Redfoots. Just go to main menu and browse, find Species Specific, the go to South American species, and select Redfoot/Yellowfoot. You'll find lots of great info there related to the species you keep. Also google Tortoise Library, an awesome site, all kinds of good reliable info there.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Omg!!! The spellchecker!!!! Hope you can figure out the words in the above post. I have to see into disabling this annoying feature

ashantwine2212

Thank you! I'll post a picture soon. I wasn't aware I needed a night time heater. What would you suggest that won't cost me a fortune? I'm a broke college kid at the moment and it's a big deal for something over $50

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thank you! I'll post a picture soon. I wasn't aware I needed a night time heater. What would you suggest that won't cost me a fortune? I'm a broke college kid at the moment and it's a big deal for something over $50
My dear "Broke College Kid" if anyone can relate to this, I definitely CAN Ceramic heat emitters are best for night heat as they don't give off light. Pet stores have them for 30some bucks depending on wattage, but many members buy them on amazon or ebay for like 17$ or even less. I also heard that some folks who have more torts and run on tight budget use black bulbs (no red, no blue, BLACK) and they say those are a lot cheaper. Those ceramic emitters supposedly last a very long time si it maybe money well spent. I have 2 of those, 100w and 60w, still playing with my fixtures now that's gotten much cooler in Texas and the babies' tank sits in the worst room of my house (always cold!) Heat is crucial to the health of your pet. They need to be raised humid and warm. Temp should NEVER be below 80F in cool side of enclosure. I keep high 80's in warm side. My humidity is slightly above 80% so my babies must be warm. Humid+cold=sick tort

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have had my baby redfoot tortoises for about a month now. I'm having some issues finding the right information on how to properly care for them. I worry about them constantly and try to make sure I know what I'm doing so they're happy and healthy. My questions are:
How can I prevent their eyes closing so often- they'll close them and not open them or eat until after I soak them in water, sometimes not even then?
How can I raise the humidity in the enclosure? View attachment 163051

They are too dry to be that little. I buy the bulk, long fiber, white sphagnum moss off Amazon for ten bucks per bale- that will help you keep them humid. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6AJKVG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
How can I raise the humidity in the enclosure? View attachment 163051

160W with no shade plants means the light is too intense for them- in the wild they don't bask, like desert torts. They stay in "dappled sunlight" under the large plants in the Amazon plains, or they forage for food at dusk and dawn. Having said that, if you give them a moist warm (82-90F) place to burrow in (moist long grain spaghnum moss) they typically hide all day...