2 cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Arizona
I wanted to get your opinions on having 2 cages? The reason I want 2 is one for outside and one for inside. Because Boulder is a hatchling I can't possibly leave him out for extended periods or overnight for a while. I live in Southern AZ so it is warm and sunny everyday. What I have been doing is carrying his cage outside everyday, but it is a little inconvienant and I would like to avoid doing that. However if it is better for him to have a consistant habitat then I will continue doing it, thanks for your help :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
How long have you had Boulder? Is he pretty well settled in, eating well, active, and healthy?

If so, then I don't see anything wrong with having two enclosures. If Boulder is still really small or having any problems adjusting, then it is better to wait awhile before introducing him to a new environment.

You can also set the outdoor habitat up so that it closely mimics the indoor one.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
He hasactually been active and eating since the 2nd day I got him, so he is pretty laid back so far. He loves to eat and drinks, likes being misted and isn't overly shy :) Thanks for the idea of mimiking the indoor one, I didn't even think of that!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I have two enclosures for my torts. They are basically set up the same (same plants, bowls, log hide) just that the outdoor enclosure is bigger. It will be even bigger when I finish my new enclosure. My torts are pretty small and move well in the ZooMed Tortoise House, I have for them outside. I will continue to use that at night for outside until they out grow it, because it has a latched top.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
My hatchlings have an indoor enclosure but spend most of the day in a different outside enclosure. They seem well adjusted to both.

rollersaurus

5 Year Member
Utah
I use a kiddie pool filled with coco coir, it simply has a water dish and plant netting over the top of it, because when I take him outside I stay out with him the entire time. It works WONDERFULLY for me, I bought a smaller sized pool so I can bring it inside when we aren't out soaking up the sun! Emerson loves it.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Ollie thanks I am glad to hear they are adjusted well and Rollersaurus, I love the name Emerson, so awesome! I usually leave Boulder out for a few hours, so I can't stay our the whole time and we have a lot of hawks in our area so unfortunately the pool won't work to risky.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenn:

If the tortoise lives outside all the time and you only want to bring him in for night time safety, then, in my opinion, you don't need to set up a whole other indoor habitat. A cardboard box of shredded newspaper would do just fine for the nighttime.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I am starting to think I will build an outdoor enclosure and just bring him in at night for now, thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.