2 Hermanns

Koopa1

I recently bought my first Hermann tortoise Koopa in the middle of November 2015, he/she was only born is 2014 and is still very small and fits into the palm of your hand. I then decided to buy another one to join Koopa and bought my 2nd Hermann tortoise yesterday (no name just yet!) who is still very small and only born in 2015. When Koopa met my new tortoise he sniffed him for a minute but then seemed fine. However later on he rammed him and tried to flip him over. I've read into it and some say if it happens to often the tortoise getting rammed will turn stressed and eventually die! Koopa has since rammed him 1 more time. The new one has not done it back. No biting or any other vicious behaviour though. Was it a bad idea me getting Koopa a friend?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452110995.292406.jpg
1. Torts are loners they don't need or want company !
2. It's called bulling : bulling can be looks , control of food dish , water dish , basking spot , and yes stresse can. Kill ! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452111251.665028.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Unfortunately you're going to need another separate set up - torts don't like sharing their space.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Welcome to you and Koopa. I agree with Lyn you need to separate them as soon as possible. Sometime new keepers think what they see is affection but is aggression. When new keepers get their first tortoise they see how amazing they are and want to get them a friend.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I recently bought my first Hermann tortoise Koopa in the middle of November 2015, he/she was only born is 2014 and is still very small and fits into the palm of your hand. I then decided to buy another one to join Koopa and bought my 2nd Hermann tortoise yesterday (no name just yet!) who is still very small and only born in 2015. When Koopa met my new tortoise he sniffed him for a minute but then seemed fine. However later on he rammed him and tried to flip him over. I've read into it and some say if it happens to often the tortoise getting rammed will turn stressed and eventually die! Koopa has since rammed him 1 more time. The new one has not done it back. No biting or any other vicious behaviour though. Was it a bad idea me getting Koopa a friend?
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Was it a bad idea me getting Koopa a friend?

Yes. Yes it was. Tortoises don't want or need companionship and as you are seeing, even babies don't see other tortoises as "friends". Sorry you found out too late, but they need to be separated immediately.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around and join the group.