2 Leos and 4 reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
You're right about the MBD. Yikes! Hopefully he is just giving them away...those are gonna need a lot of TLC.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The person that raised these torts must have been a complete idiot. The add says excellent health, Maybe he will sell them all and buy a healthy tortoise:(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Excellent health? this is when my computer needs a "slap idiot across the net" button.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
whoa whoa whoa, how do you know if it is because he raised them wrong or
maybe he himself adopted them this way? Other than the part where he or she says excellent health :(

MBD? Is a sign of it rolling bumpy shell as opposed to pyramiding?
because I adopted three torts from a man not long ago and the Hermann's
I was going to actually post pictures when I figure out my camera and
photobucket and ask about the weird condition of his shell.
He sure walks around and eats like a monster. But instead of pyramiding
his shell is rounded bumps. MBD?

If so will need to do some major research and do what I can.
Fill me in someone. Please.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
MBD refers to the flat shells not the bumpy part, if you look at the shells they are indeed very flat, to flat. Whether or not he raised them he should know that they are far from excellent health.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
OK keep in mind I'm new to torts. I have not ran down to the store and bought any, all mine we're owner release/rescued/etc.
I went back to the ad and I see rolling (bumps) looking scutes, not flat.
I'm always up for an education, love to learn so tell me what to go
back and look for in those pictures? Do you mean how....hmmm trying to figure out a way to put this.
My Hermann's that I adopted looks almost like a pancake tort but with rolling bumps for scutes.
He came to me that way and the man I got his from said he was a rescue that came to him that way.
He hadn't had him very long. This boy walks all over perfectly fine, eats like crazy, no limb issues.
Ever since I read this post I've been looking for and reading any posts I can on MBD on here.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I will admit the leos look decent. In the second picture you see the 4 or 5 rf's they have a flat look their shell should be high domed and round, instead the top looks kind of like a mushroom. If he received them in this condition then no fault on him, but I suspect he has owned them for a long time if not their entire lives, either way he should not be describing them in excellent ealth.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
True, they sure look better than my hermann's. Now I have more on my plate today... research all I can on MBD

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Blessed3x said:
True, they sure look better than my hermann's. Now I have more on my plate today... research all I can on MBD
Actually the best way to avoid MBD is calcium and sunshine, I imagine these guys were indoor aquarium tortoises with little to no UVB for most of their lives. Which is sad because it is very easy to avoid and they look like they have a pretty nice outdoor enclosure now.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
I thought the outdoor looked nice too..
Maybe he did adopt. ??

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
austinSOLO said:
i just emailed him and told him whats up

I e-mail the person as well, the other day, and just got back to me. I asked the MBD. But in the reply, he never asked that question. The person did tell me all of the redfoot were gone, and he was asking $450 for the larger one, and $350 for the smaller in the leo's.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Oh my, I'd stay away from purchasing any from that group. The vet bills will get expensive.

$450 - Yikes!

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Yikes.. it makes me mad to see poorly-raised tortoises for sale at a high price. :/

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Are you in the same area as this guy? I am down in florida and can rehab these torts. I would like to see what he would like to get and maybe work something out to get them down here.

Irwin4530 said:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pet/3127602625.html

Dont know what this guy is asking for these torts (in PA)
but EVERY ONE of them has obvious MBD!! poor babies!
hoping someone can help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.