2 males and 2 female redfoots?

Redfoot!!!

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hi everybody, I want to buy a pair of redfoots from a good tortoise seller, and I was wondering if they could live with mine. They are the same size, and it is a one male and female pair. I also have a one male one female pair, so I was wondering if 2 males and 2 females work or if I have to separate one of them. If anyone knows, could you please tell me? Thanks.

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
i think that could work. usually redfoots need to live in a group of 3-4+ to minimize the bullying. you should qurantine them for a while though. i heard a few months would be good but i'm not sure ?‍♀️

Zoeclare

Uk
Bear in mind as well you still may end up needing to separate one or more out with a group if it doesn't work, even all female groups can have aggressors.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Groups of immature males and females are easier than groups with more than 1 mature male.
IMO, each mature Male should have at least two and preferably more females if you are attempting a group.
Two males and two females aren't a good mix. The males will fight.

Redfoot!!!

Jakarta
Groups of immature males and females are easier than groups with more than 1 mature male.
IMO, each mature Male should have at least two and preferably more females if you are attempting a group.
Two males and two females aren't a good mix. The males will fight.
So should I keep one male in one enclosure, and 2 females with one male in the other?

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ
I wouldn’t do 2 males and 2 females together. Fortunately redfoots aren’t as aggressive as other torts so fighting might not be a huge issue although there are exceptions to every rule so due to that exception I wouldn’t do it. But what’s more likely to happen is both males would torment the females and try to constantly breed with them. They wouldn’t get a break. 1:3 is a good ratio. If you wanted to add another male I’d do at least 2:5 but preferably 2:6 or 2:7 or more. Redfoot males are relentless breeders. I have a 1:3 mature redfoots and from time to time I’ll separate my single male to give the girls a break. I also house 2 immature 6 ” redfoots with them and if either proves to be a male I will likely sell them. I won’t add another male unless I have at least 5 females.