2 month ~ Central American Wood Turtle .. raising in water

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
I have wanted a captive Central American wood turtle for years. I am excited to get one tomorrow. This is Panama at the age of 2 months. I have raised my box turtles in the past was looking into raising this turtle in water as recommended by Garden State Tortoise in 1/2 inch of water. Has anyone successfully raise hatchlings this way.Any tips or advice for those who have. I love the idea of not worrying about them dehydrating. I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter. This group has always been so helpful with my tortoise & box turtles.Thanks

Attachments

• panama (2).jpeg
    panama (2).jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 10
  • panama2 (2).jpeg
    panama2 (2).jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 10

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow, look at the colors on his head! I can't say about how to raise him but you have been here a lot longer than I you know the talent is there....but you might have to nudge someone if this remains unanswered after a couple days....

Wood turtles, right up with Spotted as the coolest woods & bog turtles! Congrats!

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
Definitely raise them in water. You can go deeper with these than Chris recommends for box turtles. Give lots of fake plants to climb out of the water on. No need for a basking spot if water is heated.
I have several that should be hatching any day. Love these dudes

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have wanted a captive Central American wood turtle for years. I am excited to get one tomorrow. This is Panama at the age of 2 months. I have raised my box turtles in the past was looking into raising this turtle in water as recommended by Garden State Tortoise in 1/2 inch of water. Has anyone successfully raise hatchlings this way.Any tips or advice for those who have. I love the idea of not worrying about them dehydrating. I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter. This group has always been so helpful with my tortoise & box turtles.Thanks
Looks like @HoosierTort has your answer, but I like to run turtle questions by @Markw84 and @mark1 too.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Agree completely with @HoosierTort Most all of the "more terrestrial" turtles do best when as babies they are raised in the more wet method. And I'll underscore the value of placing lots of plants. The love to hide in plants, bask cryptically in plants and need a way to climb to the surface, not necessarily swim.

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
Agree completely with @HoosierTort Most all of the "more terrestrial" turtles do best when as babies they are raised in the more wet method. And I'll underscore the value of placing lots of plants. The love to hide in plants, bask cryptically in plants and need a way to climb to the surface, not necessarily swim.
Looks like @HoosierTort has your answer, but I like to run turtle questions by @Markw84 and @mark1 too.
I agree. Mark is someone who’s opinion I value greatly!

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
Thank you, everyone. Little Panama arrived early this week. I am doing as suggested and so far so good on the temps and set up.
Great! I’ve hatched two since I posted that. Love these turtles!

Attachments

• 6D3DB816-948B-4F6C-95C8-B2349C64499C.jpeg
    6D3DB816-948B-4F6C-95C8-B2349C64499C.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 12447D2D-DCB3-4706-AE2D-C28D0039C877.jpeg
    12447D2D-DCB3-4706-AE2D-C28D0039C877.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 11
  • EF5ACDE6-82F5-4A75-9869-5648066B7DCC.jpeg
    EF5ACDE6-82F5-4A75-9869-5648066B7DCC.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 10