2 Month old Sulcata Bent Spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Hi everyone, I noticed on my new Sulcata that on both sides of the shell in the same spot it has a spike that is bent/folded upward. I have seen other videos and pics of hatchlings Sulcata and have not seen another that has this. I wanted to know if this is a normal or common thing for them to get and if it stays would it just end up have a spike on each side sticking stright up the side of his shell and would this be problematic. :(
Thanks

Attachments

• michi bent spike.jpg
    michi bent spike.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 110
  • mich bent spike1.jpg
    mich bent spike1.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 84

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I personally don't really see what your talking about. They all look the same to me. Here's a thread bump to help you get others opinions. I am sure its nothing to be concerned about though.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I think you're talking about flared scutes? I am pretty sure that's normal, although I am not very familiar with Sulcatas!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Flaring of the scutes is very normal. It does look like the one that is flaring up is a little darker around it correct?

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Flaring of the scutes is very normal. It does look like the one that is flaring up is a little darker around it correct?

yes i was thinking it was because dirt was stuck behinde it but i just sprayed it and i think that is just the color of it.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Looks ok to me, now if it were to start spreading then I would start to worry but you should be fine. :)

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Looks ok to me, now if it were to start spreading then I would start to worry but you should be fine. :)

Thanks for the reply, thats good to know i hope it dosn't spread I no expert by far this is my first tort but I was thinking it was possibly from him being scrunched up in the egg and those just never folded down, but if that is the case would they eventually fold down or do you think they will stay like that.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Its a possibility it is from hatching and hasnt straightened out yet. Is the dark stuff around it just dirt or what is it?

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Its a possibility it is from hatching and hasnt straightened out yet. Is the dark stuff around it just dirt or what is it?

There def is a little dirt in there. Now if the scute is a little transparent which it kind of seems to be it might all be dirt but i'm not sure it could be the color of it but it's realy hard for me to tell. Do scute tips have transparency?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
If its hard for you to tell then you can imagine how hard it is for me to tell lol. Yes the tips do have a bit of transparency to them.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Eweezyfosheezy said:
If its hard for you to tell then you can imagine how hard it is for me to tell lol. Yes the tips do have a bit of transparency to them.

:D lol yea but confirming that there def is transparency then I'd say its all dirt stuck in there no miscoloration.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
ALDABRAMAN said:

Thank you for your help I appreceiate your input

"Thank you for your help I appreceiate your input"
Oops that was ment for (FoSheezy) but (aldabra's :cool: ) are always welcome on my threads lol

Status
Not open for further replies.