2 new baby sulcata's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyka

5 Year Member
We just got 2 new baby sulcata's about the size of golf balls. We got them from a breeder who had 97 babies.
Here are my questions...
I am reading alot about feeding grass...Are we talking lawn grass? I would have thought greens similar to a iguana diet would be good, but after reading this forum, I am not so sure about that..
Their basking spot is 105, we are soaking them 2 times a days, have a moisturizer for their shells, uvb light, and a night light to keep the temperature up.
I am new to tortoises, not to reptiles, (I used to breed bearded dragons, and iguanas in the past) and am familiar with the higher level of care for reptiles over typical pets.
They have been eating and pooping good, and I it sounds like the greens that we are feeding them are too high in protein. They are both about 2 months old.
Thanks, Brad

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome..I think your temps might be a little to high. Should be between 95-100 in basking. There are tabs and lots of reading info on proper care for your sulcatas. If you follow them you should have no problems. They are probably too little for grasses. Mazuri, kale, spring mix, collard greens are a few. Good luck and enjoy reading, there are also many informative members here

bradleyka

5 Year Member
With the basking, they seem to like to camp out there. There are other areas they can go that it wouldnt be as hot. Do they sleep alot? Mine seem to just do a lot of laying, stretched out with their eyes closed. They are eating, pooping and drinking water. I am new to the tortoise, and just want to get them the best start possible.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Read the threads at the bottom of my post. A great way for raising a healthy smooth tort. Spring mix, cactus pads, Mazuri tortoise diet, grasses if they will eat it, hibiscus and the greens already mentioned can all be fed. Have water available 24/7.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Brad!

Please go to the Sulcata section of the Forum. At the top of that section, there are several "important threads" that you should read. Directly under the light it should be from 100 to 105F degrees, so it sounds like that is ok. Does the temp get lower than that elsewhere in the habitat?

Don't worry about grass just yet. Babies usually won't graze. But you can clip some grass from you lawn with the scissors (if you haven't treated it for weeds and insects) and cut it up in small pieces and include it in your daily offering of greens.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
My babies won't eat grass when I cut it up small and offer it to them. They will pick around it when I put it on and in spring mix but when I put them outside I have seen them graze on the grass and weeds. They don't seem to eat a lot but I have seen them eat it. They also won't eat weeds that I cut up for them. They do just fine outside when they can bite it off of the plant but they won't touch it if I pick it, cut it and offer it. On a side note, my tortoise does love dandelions even if I pick the dandelions for it. One reason I am not sure if I should name it Dandi or Tortc, is because it loves dandelions. Also the threads mentioned are a must for great growth and overall health. Welcome and post pics of your tortoises, we love pictures.:)

bradleyka

5 Year Member
So, I think everything seems to be going smoothly, but since these are my first torts, not sure...They are eating, and pooping. One poops solid, the other, a little more runny. They will get under the basking light and completely hang out their necks and legs, looking dead, eyes closed. They seem to be pretty lazy, moving as minimal as possible, and I would be more concerned if they werent eating, drinking, pooping. It is becoming winter here, and their temporary enclosure is just that. Temporary until spring. It is a 40 gallon aquarium, with a little tupperware burrow to hide in. For the bottom, I am just using blank typewriting paper. (Could that absorb too much moisture? Should I use something else) I like the paper so I can find the "messes" they make. What would you suggest for them? They are golf ball sized, and my biggest concern has to be their lazy nature, and it seems like they dont want to open their eyes too much. Do they typically sleep alot? Should I be concerned about anything? They have the basking/moderate/cool side in their tank.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
In the Sulcata section go to the stickies. There is a lot of very good information there. They would probably be happier on some coconut fiber or coco coir...maybe cypress mulch even. Mine weren't very happy on the paper. Plus you want to be able to keep it humid in there so the coco coir stuff works good for that. Read Tom's threads...really great advice. I have had my babies for almost a month now and everything seems to be going really good. They are my first torts AND reptiles! This is a great source of information here! Welcome!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

For diet, substrate and other housing info just click on the links in my signature. Come back with more questions after that. Everything you are asking, and more, is in there.

Also, I highly recommend you go get a third one, or house these two separately. Pairs of sulcatas seldom work out. One of them will suffer this way. The whole dynamic is different with a trio or with singles.

Status
Not open for further replies.