2 part question for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
1) What is your personal favorite TYPE of tortoise? (Try to pick just one!)

2) Of the tortoises you own, which one is your favorite? Tell us about him or her, and post a pic if you can! (Okay I KNOW this is a hard one but try your hardest to pick one! Maybe think of it as "Which one is the absolute LAST one you could ever part with?"...)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
My favorite type of tortoise is the Western tent tortoise, Psammobates tentorius trimeni. :D
Psammobates20tentorius20trimeniweb.jpg

It has to be 2 :p My oldest 2 tortoises. I got these 2 males in Feb. of 1989 and drove 800 miles round trip to get them. They are Chaco tortoises, Chelonoidis chilensis. I could never get rid of these 2. :D
chacomale108c.jpg

chacomale208b.jpg

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Okay someone in another thread needs to tell me the difference between that Tent Tortoise, Stars, Radiateds, and Spiders, 'cause they all look the same to me in pictures! LOL!

And YAY Danny, thanks for responding!!! Oooooo Chaco's, eh? TOO COOL!!!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
1) My favs are Greeks.
2) This is the tough one. But if I could only have one ( I love them all) I would go with Comet s/he is the first ever shelled baby I have had. Now I might have to pic two or three or four if all three eggs hatch- by the way it is day 70 today !

Comet then 11-3-07 and 10 gm
DSCF0785.jpg

Comet Now 3-12-08 and 51 gm
DSCF3177.jpg

Danny what a sweet little tort. Now I am going to have to look up 'Chaco tortoises, Chelonoidis chilensis'.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I think it's pretty obvious what my favorite tortoise species is...:D
Testudo hermanni hermanni, The Western Hermann's Tortoise.

I just can't pick between these girls so here are my 2 favorite tortoises. They are my oldest and biggest breeder female T. hermanni hermanni.

This is Bumblebee on the left and Yellowjacket on the right.
DSC02310.jpg

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Comet is adorable, Robyn!

WOW, Chris, those are some GORGEOUS girls you have there! I love their patterns and coloring!!!

Okay I didn't even answer my own question!

Of the tortoises I've had experience with, it's a hard choice between Russians and Red-Foots, but I think I have to go with Red-Foots! If I knew more about Yellow Foots, I might even say those! But I'll go with Red Foots!

As for my favorite... yes this IS a tough choice, but I have to go with Shiro right now, just being my first YOUNG RF, and she's just so perfectly cute and funny!
103_5875.jpg

I'm sure that might be subject to change in the future, especially as I hatch my own sweeties one day!

S

stells

My fave hmmmmmmm i would love to own stars but are they my fave i just don't know.

As for my personal fave of what i have here it has to be.... Dandelion (Testudo graeca ibera, Turkish greek) he was the first tortoise i had and didn't look to great when he first got here, now he is full of life but also quite a laid back young chap. :)
tortoises084.jpg

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Oh Kelly Tough question....
Of torts That I have I would have to say Russians, just because of there personalities. Of ones I don't have I would have to say Aladbras or Galapagos. (Gentle Giants until they try to bulldoze you. :))
As for my favorite at my house..yikes..hmmm I would have to say Crush - I think because he is so tiny and I am constantly checking on him trying to get him to gain weight..

0227081909a.jpg

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Well I have a hard time choosing a favourite between Western Hermann's (Testudo Hermanni Hermanni), the Egyphtians (Testudo Kleinmanni), the Marginated's (Testudo Marginata) and the Greeks (Testudo Graecas).

If I had more room, I'd own all of them... but since I've only owned THH, I have to "vote" for them.

As for a favourite tort, it really is a no-brainer, sice this guy is my only tortoise:

01.jpg

PS1 - Chris,Yellowjacket is INCREDIBLE.

PS2 - Great thread kelly!

Status
Not open for further replies.