2 questions, uvb and calcium

Arjun&Yoshi

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing here for my baby russian.

1. I am using the reptisun 10.0 UVB tube bulb in his terrarium. I am moving the screen so nothing is blocking it. We've had him for 4 days now and he seems to be sleeping a lot more. He doesn't sleep in his hide, but is usually partially covered with substrate. Sometimes not covered, at night completely covered. I have the light on for a solid 12-13 hours, but am unsure if he's getting enough UVB. Opinions?

2. So I have the repticalcium without D3, but if he's not getting enough UVB, should I change this to calcium with D3. I'm not even entirely sure if the 2 are related but I think I read something about that?

ETA: I live in Canada so can't have him outside right now!

Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some do give the D3 in the winter when there is less uvb cause they can't go outside. Only a pinch 2 times a week. To much is as bad as to little. The light you are using is fine, but what are you using for heat/basking? Take a read on Toms thread for raising russians. Also, making it brighter will help to keep him up, he is probably hiding a lot, wanting to hibernate.

Arjun&Yoshi

Toronto, Canada
I am using the zoomed 100 w basking bulb. From another thread I posted, Tom has stated my temps are fine. My humidity is around 70% average. Then I should be giving some D3? My tortoise is 6 months old and we are new to all this so don't want him to hibernate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The 10.0 bulbs are safe, but not very effective at distance. For your tortoise to get any UV benefit from it, you must have around 10-12" away from the tortoise. Removing the screen is good, but how far is the bulb from the tortoise?

I don't think the D3 in the supplement matters much one way or the other.

Your tortoise is exhibiting fairly normal behavior, especially this time of year.