2 sulcata tortoises for adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan DeMascio

Location (City and/or State)
LA County, CA
Hello, my name is Dylan DeMascio and I live in the area of LA County in California. I have 2 sulcata tortoises for whom I need to find new homes. Unfortunately, I have come to a point in my life where I hardly feel that I can take care of myself, let alone my pets. I never wanted to give up on them, but I think it would be selfish of me to continue fooling myself that I am capable of providing the care they require. I actually own 3 tortoises, but I feel that I could properly handle one if I downsize. I was doing some research and the nice people at the California Turtle and Tortoise Club referred me to this site. So, I am hoping that I can find some more nice people to give my guys a better home.
The two for whom I am looking for homes are named Hǎo-Hǎo and Ginger:
Hǎo-Hǎo is a male of approximately 40-50lbs and Ginger still fits within an adult's hand. Hǎo-Hǎo originally belonged to my neighbor, but she gave him to me because she was unable to take care of him. After seeing how well my tortoise, Terra, was doing, she decided I may be able to take care of him better. Hǎo-Hǎo came to me with rather pronounced pyramiding, soft shell, and underweight. Over the years, he began to do much better under my care.
I found Ginger at the animal shelter where I used to volunteer. He had all of the same issues as H ǎo-Hǎo including an under-bite, which I do not know if it was congenital or caused by the calcium deficiency. In the end, I adopted Ginger, and his condition has improved.
(There is just a little more info in my profile page and in my first post on this site)

The thing that worries me is that I have seen the statistics regarding sulcatas being dumped, and I do not want to be another one of those people. Both tortoises were already part of my own little rescue project, but now I feel that I can no longer provide what they need. Also, I have plenty of space for a single tortoise, a little space for 2, but 3 would be cramped. So, that would be poor planning on my part. My only wish now is that I can find a better situation for them.

Another thing is that H ǎo-Hǎo has an aggression problem; he is fine around people as long as he is not stress out, but he attacks anything that even resembles another tortoise. Ginger is still a little shy, but I see the potential of him/her having a great disposition.

Both Hǎo-Hǎo and Ginger do not need to go together if anybody just wants one. Please feel free to contact me if you are interested or can connect me with somebody who is. You do not need to be local to me, but I would definitely prefer it. Also, I'm a picky parent, so I would like to get to know you and how good of a parent you will be if you are interested. Thank you for your time!

Dylan DeMascio

LA County, CA

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have no doubt you will be able to find new homes for your torts. It is a hard choice to make, but it os a chpice you ultimatly need to make for the tortoise's well being. Good luck.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hard decision you have made, but sounds like the correct one.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Welcome to the forum. H ǎo-Hǎo is a cute name for a sulcata, and it sounds very much like Heng Hao which means very good in Chinese. Was the previous owner Asian-American? Good luck and best wishes to you.

Dylan DeMascio

LA County, CA
I have no doubt you will be able to find new homes for your torts. It is a hard choice to make, but it os a chpice you ultimatly need to make for the tortoise's well being. Good luck.

Thank you. I hope so too. I honestly do not want to let them go. But, it's like you said, it's what's best for them. Still doesn't mean that I'm not going to cry when the time comes, haha.

Dylan DeMascio

LA County, CA
Hard decision you have made, but sounds like the correct one.

Thank you very much. When I felt that I had to put them up for adoption, I felt (and still feel so) like a failure. But, it does feel like the right decision at the same time.

Dylan DeMascio

LA County, CA
Welcome to the forum. H ǎo-Hǎo is a cute name for a sulcata, and it sounds very much like Heng Hao which means very good in Chinese. Was the previous owner Asian-American? Good luck and best wishes to you.

Thank you. And, yes, you are right; the previous owner is Chinese and her mom only speaks Mandarin with very little English. I actually speak a little Cantonese, but hardly any Mandarin, lol.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you. I hope so too. I honestly do not want to let them go. But, it's like you said, it's what's best for them. Still doesn't mean that I'm not going to cry when the time comes, haha.
I feel for you. I very recently decided to rehome my box turtle, and it does break my heart. And I have already cried and I'm sure I will The day I hand her over to the new person. It is a very difficult decision but sometimes it has to be done. My Boxturtle found a great home with somebody here on the forum that knows what they're doing. so that makes me feel a little better about it.

Dylan DeMascio

LA County, CA
I feel for you. I very recently decided to rehome my box turtle, and it does break my heart. And I have already cried and I'm sure I will The day I hand her over to the new person. It is a very difficult decision but sometimes it has to be done. My Boxturtle found a great home with somebody here on the forum that knows what they're doing. so that makes me feel a little better about it.

I'm so sorry to hear that :( . That does give me hope, though, that I will be able to find the right person to take my little guys. I hope all goes well for you and your box turtle.

Dylan DeMascio

LA County, CA
Hi! I'm interested in the smaller tortoise, if you are willing to ship. I live in Wisconsin.
Hello Tova,

I am glad to hear that you are interested. However, I have seen that you are mostly interested in a tortoise for a classroom setting. I feel obligated to ask you about your long-term plans. Ginger may be small now, but he is of a species that will grow to over 100lbs; that doesn't sound like an appropriately sized pet for a classroom. Also, the snowy winters in WI may be a problem since sulcatas don't hibernate. In fact, they become very upset and agitated when they are not allowed to roam outside. So, what would be your preparations for these instances?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Thank you very much. When I felt that I had to put them up for adoption, I felt (and still feel so) like a failure. But, it does feel like the right decision at the same time.
What you're doing is not a failure! It is obvious from what I have seen that you care very deeply for your torts and want what best for them, that is wonderful, and I have no doubt you will be able to successfully rehome them with the great people here. Good luck to you, and I hope you stick around.

Dylan DeMascio

LA County, CA
What you're doing is not a failure! It is obvious from what I have seen that you care very deeply for your torts and want what best for them, that is wonderful, and I have no doubt you will be able to successfully rehome them with the great people here. Good luck to you, and I hope you stick around.
Thank you :)

Dylan DeMascio

LA County, CA
I am currently corresponding with another person who is interested as well. I will be sure to keep you in mind :) . Have you owned sulcatas before?

John hernandez

Los Angeles
No but my aunt has one & she has been teaching me and giving good advice to get to learn the species and so that's why I'm interested in getting one for my self to share with my family plz keep us in mind ;)

Flex

Hello I was wondering if u still have the tortoises I'm very interested on both if u still have them

Dylan DeMascio

LA County, CA
Hello I was wondering if u still have the tortoises I'm very interested on both if u still have them
Hi.
I'm sorry for the long delay. I was talking with some other adopters, but they stopped responding to my messages for the past few weeks. I just messaged some other people who showed some interest. If it doesn't work out with them, then you are definitely next on the list if you're still interested :)

Status
Not open for further replies.