2 White Dots On Russian Tortoise Shell

KaanOz

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello, I bought a Russian tortoise 2 weeks ago and I’ve noticed these 2 white dots one on a scute and one “in between?” the scutes. I’ve looked and read everywhere and seen things that ranged from mineral deposits all the way to shell rot. I have been using bottled water for his water bath and such, and I’m certain I’ve been meeting the living conditions for him. Hoping I could get a answer! Id appreciate it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks to me like something may have gotten ahold of him or he scraped himself on something and peeled off the shell.
Shell rot happens on the bottom shell most of the time.
I wouldn't worry too much about them. Just keep an eye on them.

KaanOz

Pennsylvania
Looks to me like something may have gotten ahold of him or he scraped himself on something and peeled off the shell.
Shell rot happens on the bottom shell most of the time.
I wouldn't worry too much about them. Just keep an eye on them.
Thank you for the info! Glad its more than likely not shell rot. I’ll keep my eye on it, I use cypress mulch for him to walk on and such. Is it possible he could have scraped his shell when burrowing?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The technical term is that he has some dings. lol

If he was from a pet store, he was probably wild caught and then banged around in an airplane cargo container with a bunch of other torts.

Russians are kind of daredevils. This tendency is hard on the shell - make sure there are no places he can climb and fall or get stuck under, between, etc.. Don't let him fraternize with dogs or cats.

Welcome!

KaanOz

Pennsylvania
The technical term is that he has some dings. lol

If he was from a pet store, he was probably wild caught and then banged around in an airplane cargo container with a bunch of other torts.

Russians are kind of daredevils. This tendency is hard on the shell - make sure there are no places he can climb and fall or get stuck under, between, etc.. Don't let him fraternize with dogs or cats.

Welcome!
Oh my, I never knew that! Is there any way to deal with it, or will they just go away with time? Appreciate it!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Have you tried to scrub or scrape the dots? To me they look like they might come loose.

I'd try a brisk rubbing with an old soft toothbrush after soaking the spots for a while.

If they don't come off, don't worry about them. They're his beauty spots.