2 yo Russian tort beak separating on one side

Ali Richardson

Location (City and/or State)
Dana Point, CA
Hi everyone, I need some advice about my two-year-old Russian tortoise, Olive. She lives alone in a very safe enclosure and we don’t have any other pets she has never been dropped or experienced any injuries. Lately I’ve noticed her beak is separating on one side. Any idea what would cause this? Is this a serious problem? Anything I can do for her? It doesn’t seem to be affecting her appetite or mood and she doesn’t seem to be in pain. Any advice or opinions would be helpful. Thank you so much!

73B7EAA6-318C-4CFE-A7D4-31A120B7D05A.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The beak is slightly overgrown, and that's what happens. She bites down on something hard and because it's overgrown, it breaks off. Like your fingernail when you bump it on something or a horse's hoof when it's overgrown. It breaks off. Try to find an experienced rehabber or a good tortoise vet and have them trim the beak for you. Usually what happens when a beak breaks off is it breaks up pretty high, not where you would want it to break, and it causes pain for the animal. That's a pretty good-looking Russian tortoise. Was it a hatchling when you got it?

Ali Richardson

Dana Point, CA
The beak is slightly overgrown, and that's what happens. She bites down on something hard and because it's overgrown, it breaks off. Like your fingernail when you bump it on something or a horse's hoof when it's overgrown. It breaks off. Try to find an experienced rehabber or a good tortoise vet and have them trim the beak for you. Usually what happens when a beak breaks off is it breaks up pretty high, not where you would want it to break, and it causes pain for the animal. That's a pretty good-looking Russian tortoise. Was it a hatchling when you got it?

Thank you Yvonne!! I thought it might be something like that. I will find a vet to take her to. I bought her as a 6 month old hatchling from Carol S here on the forum. She’s a great addition to our family. I appreciate your help.
-Alison