2 young marginated tortoises getting stuck on coconut substrate

skoby

Hi,

We have two young marginated tortoises (3 years old), I've just switched their indoor enclosure (a quite large plastic rabbit cage tray) to coconut fibre substrate today after reading about it on here, previously they had been on newspaper, which the breeder recommended and they seemed happy with it. I have noticed now that they are occasionally getting a bit stuck and digging holes with their legs, they are able to get themselves going again but do seem to be having a few issues getting used to it.

I'm guessing it is just a very different surface to their used to, they go outside but the ground is much more compacted so they have no issue. Has anyone else had this issue? Will this just improve as they get used to it?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, inwould suggest that you attempt to take a picture or two f your enclsure and substrate. Did you thoroughly moisten the fiber and pat it all down and around. I think them digging a bit is probably very good exercise and will help them develop stronger leg muscles. It's possible from ONLY having been on flat newspapervthat they are a bitvweak. The new substrate can only help ( IMHO).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
News paper was a bad suggestion. We recommend that only for a sick or injured tortoise. The coconut coir does need to be patted down. In my opinion, it is the best.