2 yr old sulcata average size and weight?

Meela21

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I just adopted a 2 yr old sulcata from a Tortoise rescue in Idaho back in April. I've always wanted a Sulcata and when I saw "Pancake's" picture, I had to have "her"!! She wasn't fed or cared for correctly so she definitely has pyramiding, but we are working on slowly correcting this. She eats great, healthy appetite, and very active. I know that each and every tortoise is different, but I'd like to know, on an average, if "Pancake" is 5 3/4 inches long and she weighs 1.03 lbs...is this about right for her size? She seems light, but I'm not really sure either. I have her in a 3ft x 3 1/2ft indoor tortoise table and I have a 6ft x 6ft outdoor enclosure that she hangs out in a few hours any time the weather permits. Can anyone give me an idea if she is in her normal range of weight, please. And if she is too light, how can I get her to gain weight?
Thanks in advance

Everyone, I'd like you all to meet Pancake.. ❤
20160430_151014-1.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Hello and Welcome. That's a great name! They all grow at different rates but like you said Pancakes diet and housing wasn't correct for a while so that could be the reason why she is on the smaller side. I think with the correct housing and food you will see a huge difference in no time at all. Make sure to read as much as you can on the site about Sulcata's. Mine is just under 2 years and weights over 5 pounds and is 10" in length and I've seen people on here with even larger 2 year olds... just read, read and read more on the site. @Tom can give you tons of great information.

Meela21

Hello and Welcome. That's a great name! They all grow at different rates but like you said Pancakes diet and housing wasn't correct for a while so that could be the reason why she is on the smaller side. I think with the correct housing and food you will see a huge difference in no time at all. Make sure to read as much as you can on the site about Sulcata's. Mine is just under 2 years and weights over 5 pounds and is 10" in length and I've seen people on here with even larger 2 year olds... just read, read and read more on the site. @Tom can give you tons of great information.

Wow, yours is quite a bit larger! I had a feeling she was a little small...I love reading and researching about these amazing tortoises!! I will continue to learn as we go! Can't wait for her to get bigger and healthier! Thanks for the info!

Meela21

One more question...Is that coloring normal around her mouth? It was like that when I got her, and it hasn't gone away. The lady told me that she has been outside eating grass all day and that's why her mouth was dark like that. But couldn't that be a sign of mouth rot? :/

DandR

Tortoise Club
Hawaii
Hi and welcome! I have 2 sulcatas that I rescued from very poor conditions. I was worried about their size & weight and was told that all tortoises grow at different rates. We've had them with us for 10 months now, feeding and housing them according to the TFO care sheets. Currently, the 5 year old is 1.3 pounds, 5.75" (about the same as Pancake) and the 4 year old is 356 grams, 4.75". Hopefully, with proper care, they'll thrive and overcome the detrimental effects of their initial care. Please follow the care sheets at the top of the Sulcata section. All that information literally saved our tortoises lives! Pancake is lucky to have you!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
As you can see , there are many differences size-wise. They are dependent on everything from diet to size of enclosure , Speedy is just under 2 years , he is 8 "s and 3 Lbs 5 Oz,s ! If you try to follow the care guides laid out at the top Pancake will improve ! :)

Meela21

As you can see , there are many differences size-wise. They are dependent on everything from diet to size of enclosure , Speedy is just under 2 years , he is 8 "s and 3 Lbs 5 Oz,s ! If you try to follow the care guides laid out at the top Pancake will improve ! :)

Oh my goodness, there really is a huge range of sizes for these guys! Thanks for your info Speedy-1 and DandR!! Makes me feel a little better that there are others out there like her. So glad I get to experience this with Pancake. And so glad there are people out there on this forum who can lend great advice and expertise to newbies like me! :)
Thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Definitely all grow at different rates. Follow the Sully care sheets, daily soaks, correct day/night temps, high humidity, plenty of food. Our two year old Sully is over 20 pounds now....like a little tank with a great personality!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
As you can see, there is no norm for these guys, but I will chime in on my guy, since he just so happens to be 2 years as of mid May. He is now 8.5 inches long and 4.7 pounds as of last week, and he has always been on the smaller side (compared to many here) due to a less than ideal start. On the plus side, once their conditions improve (as long as there hasn't been any permanent damage) they seem to try and make up for lost time by eating EVERYTHING in sight! :eek:

And welcome Pancake! Nice to meet you!