2019 Calendar (If only I could a' )

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Very cute! However, there are a few things that need to be changed.
Be sure to give these a read if you haven’t already-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

-one of your tortoises is pyramiding pretty severely. What is the humidity in your enclosure?

-your tortoises need to be separated. Tortoises are solitary animals, and should never be kept in pairs. In pairs, there is always a dominant and a subordinate, and neither can ever escape. It actually looks like bullying has been going on, with the size difference between the two.

Keep in mind that bullying is not usually physical. “Cuddling”, “following”, sleeping in the same hide when other hides are available, standing on the food, and just being together in general are all one tortoise trying to push, chase, and stress the other out of its territory, not signs of affection.

Changa

Ca
O
Very cute! However, there are a few things that need to be changed.
Be sure to give these a read if you haven’t already-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

-one of your tortoises is pyramiding pretty severely. What is the humidity in your enclosure?

-your tortoises need to be separated. Tortoises are solitary animals, and should never be kept in pairs. In pairs, there is always a dominant and a subordinate, and neither can ever escape. It actually looks like bullying has been going on, with the size difference between the two.

Keep in mind that bullying is not usually physical. “Cuddling”, “following”, sleeping in the same hide when other hides are available, standing on the food, and just being together in general are all one tortoise trying to push, chase, and stress the other out of its territory, not signs of affection.
Ok Got It

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
O

Ok Got It

I really love the sink picture, so cute! Your babies are beautiful.

Just to highlight what @TechnoCheese mentioned, it's good to know about this early because as they grow, if conditions are corrected, pyramiding can stop, and appear to smooth with healthy growth.
It seems that moisture could be lacking. Your babies need high humidity, in addition to water, and soaks. The substrate is most important for humidity, you need to water it. I cannot tell how deep your substrate is, but it seems to be of mulch, wood-chips, or rock? Possibly consider mixing clean top soil (no additives) and peat moss or coconut coir with your current substrate, then keep it damp, especially the bottom, by watering it.
Potentially add sphagnum moss to their hide, wet, to add humidity in their hide, maybe consider a hide with a closed back to promote that build-up of moisture.

Is there a lid? A lid that can go over the lamp, closed chamber, can make it very easy to hold in lots of moisture. If there isn't a lid, please be even more tedious ensuring the substrate is damp always, the lamps will dry it out fast, and your tortoise!

Please research anything I'm recommending for yourself, as well. I'm new, so learning much of this first time as well.

Thanks and keep up the photos! Good-luck <3

Last edited:

Changa

Ca

Just to highlight what @TechnoCheese mentioned, it's good to know about this early because as they grow, if conditions are corrected, pyramiding can stop, and appear to smooth with healthy growth.
It seems that moisture could be lacking. Your babies need high humidity, in addition to water, and soaks. The substrate is most important for humidity, you need to water it. I cannot tell how deep your substrate is, but it seems to be of mulch, wood-chips, or rock? Possibly consider mixing clean top soil (no additives) and peat moss or coconut coir with your current substrate, then keep it damp, especially the bottom, by watering it.
Potentially add sphagnum moss to their hide, wet, to add humidity in their hide, maybe consider a hide with a closed back to promote that build-up of moisture.

Is there a lid? A lid that can go over the lamp, closed chamber, can make it very easy to hold in lots of moisture. If there isn't a lid, please be even more tedious ensuring the substrate is damp always, the lamps will dry it out fast, and your tortoise!

Please research anything I'm recommending for yourself, as well. I'm new, so learning much of this first time as well.

Really!thank u. :)

Changa

Ca
I really love the sink picture, so cute! Your babies are beautiful. I don’t know this is bit overwhelming I’m stressing
I thought this was going to be easy I was helping my niece out she couldn’t take of them but anyway thank u

Changa

Ca
I really love the sink picture, so cute! Your babies are beautiful. I started to soak them I don’t if my niece ever did and I spray them with water of course and keeping the subrate moist ok I hope on the right patch

I