23 year old Male Egyptian Tortoise

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
I might be able to help you with that...
Thank you so much Tom. I may just taking up your offer. Please let me know what I need to do to obtain them?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Caught him drinking water... :D

2020-02-06-15-25-06.jpg

Seeing animals drink water is one of my favorite things. No joke.

Talking to a gal over the weekend, she told me that her Russian tortoise gets all its water from the lettuce. :( She was shocked to hear that my tortoises don't eat much lettuce rather they primarily eat grass and weeds. But she was open to hearing new information and gladly listened as I shared with her some tips on how to do things better.

Sa Ga

MN
I might be able to help you with that...

Do you sell Egyptian torts? How big do they get? How much $? I just started reading about other torts and this species piqued my interest. Is it true they make noise?

Sa Ga

MN
I

View attachment 285923

Talking to a gal over the weekend, she told me that her Russian tortoise gets all its water from the lettuce. :( She was shocked to hear that my tortoises don't eat much lettuce rather they primarily eat grass and weeds. But she was open to hearing new information and gladly listened as I shared with her some tips on how to do things better.
I totally agree! Morla almost never drinks but when she does, I have a freaking block party! ?????

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
King Tut was a hit at the party today. We took 6 different species. The kids all had a great time.

2020-02-08-15-14-46.jpg
On the table there are a few vietnamese stick insects, hisser cockroaches, a group of african fat tail geckos & the Egyptian tortoise
Under the table is a hedgehog
and 2 ball pythons.

Here is Tut with the birthday boy
2020-02-08-20-49-11.jpg

2020-02-08-20-51-12.jpg

:)

Sa Ga

MN

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
@Team Gomberg, he's 23? So they're very small little guys? Are they easy to care for or a more "advanced" endeavor?

2nd smallest species in the world!

Well, easy vs advanced relative to what? To me, caring for this tortoise is easy. He has an indoor enclosure with adequate temperature zones and a large outdoor enclosure that will be fully planted once it's finished. I offer him a pile of hand picked greens everyday, sometimes even 2 or 3x a day. I keep him in or move him outside based on the weather. He gets soaked regularly and daily monitored. I think it's pretty easy to do all of that and you might, too.
He doesn't need the strong fencing or space a sulcata would require. He doesn't need the humid conditions a leopard hatchling would require. He doesn't need the protein variety in his diet a redfoot would require. So I'd say yes, he's an easy animal to care for. :tort:

However, if someone isn't interested in doing these things and just wants a pretty pet rock to sit in a tank all day on display in their living room with an occasional handful of lettuce, then I'd say, "This is too advanced, get a stuffed animal instead. " ;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
When do they make their noise? What does it sound like?

I heard it more in the beginning. Rarely now. It kinda sounds like a mourning dove & is said to be their mating call. Maybe I'll hear it again more in spring. That's when my leopard tort views my pink crocs a little differently...Oh la la! Haha

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

View attachment 285923

Going to need a bigger pool!!! Or a second one that's bigger.

Sa Ga

MN
2nd smallest species in the world!

Well, easy vs advanced relative to what? To me, caring for this tortoise is easy. He has an indoor enclosure with adequate temperature zones and a large outdoor enclosure that will be fully planted once it's finished. I offer him a pile of hand picked greens everyday, sometimes even 2 or 3x a day. I keep him in or move him outside based on the weather. He gets soaked regularly and daily monitored. I think it's pretty easy to do all of that and you might, too.
He doesn't need the strong fencing or space a sulcata would require. He doesn't need the humid conditions a leopard hatchling would require. He doesn't need the protein variety in his diet a redfoot would require. So I'd say yes, he's an easy animal to care for. :tort:

However, if someone isn't interested in doing these things and just wants a pretty pet rock to sit in a tank all day on display in their living room with an occasional handful of lettuce, then I'd say, "This is too advanced, get a stuffed animal instead. " ;)
Yeah, no. None of my beloved pets are low-maintenance babies! I do love taking care of them though! Totally worth it! ❤❤❤❤❤❤

Sa Ga

MN
Yeah, no. None of my beloved pets are low-maintenance babies! I do love taking care of them though! Totally worth it! ❤❤❤❤❤❤

Besides having Morla, my Russie with CKD which requires hydration tubing 3x/day, daily soaks, and won't eat unless hand fed, I have Oadi, my "special needs" toad I adopted when my neighbor hit her with a weed whacker last spring. Because of her injuries (lost her left eye, most of her rt hand, and no longer can extend her tongue to catch prey), I have to hand feed her too (using a credit card and cutting up her worms or dubias into bite size pieces).

Tut sounds like a breeze! Lol20190812_204313.jpg

This is Oadi (Oadi the Toadi is her full name) rt after a feeding (she has some calcium powder on her).

(I do have two dogs too....but they feed themselves just fine--perhaps a little TOO well!)

Last edited:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Besides having Morla, my Russie with CKD which requires hydration tubing 3x/day, daily soaks, and won't eat unless hand fed, I have Oadi, my "special needs" toad I adopted when my neighbor hit her with a weed whacker last spring. Because of her injuries (lost her left eye, most of her rt hand, and no longer can extend her tongue to catch prey), I have to hand feed her too (using a credit card and cutting up her worms or dubias into bite size pieces).

Tut sounds like a breeze! LolView attachment 286612

This is Oadi (Oadi the Toadi is her full name) rt after a feeding (she has some calcium powder on her).

(I do have two dogs too....but they feed themselves just fine--perhaps a little TOO well!)
What a dedicated pet owner!

Sa Ga

MN
What a dedicated pet owner!
Well, had no choice....lol.

I got surprised by a distraught neighbor with Oadi (and I couldn't just leave the poor little critter there to suffer and die!) and I got a little blindsided with Morla (what was supposed to be a free pet ended up being anything but!).

But I love them dearly ❤ and wouldn't trade em! They really are their own person! ? Oadi's chutzpah is something else, (what a tough little survivor!) and ?Morla is my little "heart animal" (not so much a fighter as an adorable shelled couch potato!).