27 year old male Sulcata needs rescuing from PA pet store, he is not for sale

Peachie

Location (City and/or State)
Hopewell, NJ
And you think you are right by bringing in the way humans live? You are out of your mind! Please go away.
Looks like Mark Arabia, President of Pets Plus Natural has LOTS of space for Harry at his house!

Attachments

• Screenshot Home of PP.png
    Screenshot Home of PP.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 36

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
And you think you are right by bringing in the way humans live? You are out of your mind! Please go away.
That response was intended for Yvonne G. Sorry
@Yvonne G is one of the key players that keeps this forum operational. Regardless if you agree with her opinion or not, please show some respect.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G is one of the key players that keeps this forum operational. Regardless if you agree with her opinion or not, please show some respect.
Excuse me, but everyone on here deserves respect, everyone! Also anyone can be asked to go away by the OP, not really a rule breaker, as long as rules aren't broken in the asking. However, a mod can not go away, as it's our duty to watch threads, specially hot topic ones.

Last edited:

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Excuse me, but everyone on here deserves respect, everyone!
Absolutely agree. I was just informing @Peachie of Yvonne’s role on the forum since they came in guns blazing and don’t know us yet. In no way did I insinuate that it was ok to disrespect other people. I think you should know that about me by now.

Edit: I was just thinking about your reply and maybe you thought the OP was directing the comment of “Please go away” to you because they typed that in response to your comment, however their next statement was correcting that saying the comment was actually intended for Yvonne. This is the reason why I specified Yvonne in my reply to the OP. I would stand up for you the exact same way, I promise. I think of the regulars on here as friends, and you are one of the people I put in that classification. No harm was intended by my post.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Absolutely agree. I was just informing @Peachie of Yvonne’s role on the forum since they came in guns blazing and don’t know us yet. In no way did I insinuate that it was ok to disrespect other people. I think you should know that about me by now.

Edit: I was just thinking about your reply and maybe you thought the OP was directing the comment of “Please go away” to you because they typed that in response to your comment, however their next statement was correcting that saying the comment was actually intended for Yvonne. This is the reason why I specified Yvonne in my reply to the OP. I would stand up for you the exact same way, I promise. I think of the regulars on here as friends, and you are one of the people I put in that classification. No harm was intended by my post.
I do know that about you. My response was for others reading this whole thread.
I did catch the OP's correction right away.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
A male sulcate at Pets Plus in Fairless Hills, PA is not for sale. He is essentially a prisoner. The Bucks County SPCA supports removing him from this situation. PA Law and American Tortoise Rescue believes that the tortoise is ok in this enclosure. I don't know how the sulcata got to the store nor how long its been there. Photos and video will be forwarded to a vet. Go to r/sulcata for photos and videos. I may need public support to remove him from his prison.
WOW, Prison is right,,,,

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Please keep me posted as well. I know Zimmers pet store in Collegeville/pottstown area lets a Sulcata roam around their store as well. Never been there, but I’d love to go and see how they care for that guy.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I want to apologize for my opinion in the matter of this tortoise. If the keeper was a newbie or just a member instead of a corporation, we gotta know I would ream that person for abusing that Sulcata. But because I didn't see that, my opinion was different and I was wrong. The pet store I sell my birds to has a about a 20 lb Sulcata and a Redfoot both in a 75 gallon totally bare aquarium, he sometimes takes them home as he keep tortoises but i'm always saying stuff to him...making offers of let me have them and I'll sell them for ya...
Anyway, I didn't come by this change of opinion all by myself, a member who was involved in some of those comments and I talked. So yep I was wrong...but don't get used to it!!!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I want to apologize for my opinion in the matter of this tortoise. If the keeper was a newbie or just a member instead of a corporation, we gotta know I would ream that person for abusing that Sulcata. But because I didn't see that, my opinion was different and I was wrong. The pet store I sell my birds to has a about a 20 lb Sulcata and a Redfoot both in a 75 gallon totally bare aquarium, he sometimes takes them home as he keep tortoises but i'm always saying stuff to him...making offers of let me have them and I'll sell them for ya...
Anyway, I didn't come by this change of opinion all by myself, a member who was involved in some of those comments and I talked. So yep I was wrong...but don't get used to it!!!
Thank's Maggie...for clarifying that...?

Buckeye Girl

Rossford, Ohio
Maybe you can start an internet campaign. Change.org has all kinds of "causes" where you can sign petitions, donate, etc. I am on one of their email lists and they send out regular emails with causes you can help with. Maybe they will help free him. Talking to corporate might work, but they also might not care at all. Big business doesn't really care about things like that. IF you could free him, what would your end game be? Finding a "sanctuary" for him might make it more desirable for Change.org.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Peachie

Hopewell, NJ
The Bucks County SPCA contacted a reptile vet who evaluated Harry, the 27 year old Sulcata at Pets Plus Natural in Fairless Hills, PA. The vet determined that Harry needs medical attention and an appropriate habitat. The pet store has been notified. This is an open investigation. So we shall see what happens to poor Harry.

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
Yeah, I mean, pursuing this in an aggressive way (showing up everyday to argue, contacting local TV stations, local politicians, wildlife & animal control offices) can leave an animal with a lot of loose ends...

Advocates for better care are banned from the premises because they've become a nuisance?

Will they just take it home and put it in similar conditions? Remember: most care information makes this set up "in bounds".

Will a radical attention-seeking group steal it...make it a poster-critter for their money-making machine...then gas it?

Will it be confiscated...and destroyed?

What I'm saying is that a campaign to improve the animals situation has to be done carefully and thoughtfully. Would someone be willing to approach the owner with an offer to run a GoFundM* campaign to pay for an upgraded enclosure and more healthful supplies? Then you'd have to price everything out and write up theI campaign...and manage the campaign...keep track of the funds and administer them within the guidelines of the funding site's bylaws, and according to federal, state, and local laws about fund-raising and -management...

There's a lot more than going off on someone because, Helping...
I understand your point. The poor thing is being abused. But I can imagine the animal suffering more for the store considering him a problem. I would get a group of people together to pay for proper substrate, enclosure, proper food etc and say to store manager, we want to help you provide the best care for Harry. Of course, I'm sad about is poor care-DON'T GET ME WRONG!!!!! But I AM SICK OF ANIMALS SUFFERING DUE TO HUMANS!!!!!!! Try to work with the store to help Harry!