28 Sick Tortoises please help, Bumps under Neck

mastershake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
the issue is most of them did not know till it came back to bite them when they resold sick animals. many have for now stopped selling sulcata altogether. and its already all over the usa and prob now mixed into other breeding groups sadly. this was VERY spread last year it was everywhere

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
the issue is most of them did not know till it came back to bite them when they resold sick animals. many have for now stopped selling sulcata altogether. and its already all over the usa and prob now mixed into other breeding groups sadly. this was VERY spread last year it was everywhere
Those that have sold them and didn't know it, but then stopped when they found out, are also the innocent that got bit and luckily stopped.
The ones that know and wont stop need to be stopped!

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
10 new cases ive seen in the past 45 days or so now from different places in the usa. this being one of those.
If this is highly infectious to other reptiles as you have said it is especially scary. Irresponsible sellers could be endangering unrelated wild animals in addition to peoples pets. I wonder if this has popped up on USDA, USGS or USFWS radar yet. Seems like like it would fit the bill for a reportable disease.
I am not very involved with the reptile hobby. Do any of the trade groups like USARK try to get involved with situations like this so they can try to get ahead of legislative action?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Is there no way to stop this seller? Some agency that could do something?
His name needs to be plastered every place anyone would look for tortoises.
Where is he located? The only one I found was a dentist in AZ.

Me too!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Those that have sold them and didn't know it, but then stopped when they found out, are also the innocent that got bit and luckily stopped.
The ones that know and wont stop need to be stopped!

But when they found out they had bought from this guy and could not resell as their own…. What happened to all of those tortoises!? ??
Did they just kill them?
They would not have kept them as they would have had too many Sulcata to raise.
So were innocent baby Sulcata killed?
Now I won’t sleep tonight!! ?????

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
But when they found out they had bought from this guy and could not resell as their own…. What happened to all of those tortoises!? ??
Did they just kill them?
many sold them anyway others euthanized them

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did they just kill them?
Most likely some did. I don't know if the disease is deadly or if they can survive and live a long happy life. I'm sure if its deadly, euthanasia is the most humane thing to do as sad as it is, it's better then making them suffer.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
Is death inevitable with this disease?
i cant say 1000% but usually yes. there is yet to be anything very effective to treat it. it would require a major inj combo and even thats is just a possibility. in the ones we tested every one even when we were able to supress it for a bit it came back. on average with the anti biotics we ended up having to euthanize at around 12-14 months. none grew hardly at all. 14 months still 67 grams. toe nails started falling out again, skin showed signs etc etc etc we dont currently know of any really long time survivors this includes other species not just sulcata

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
i cant say 1000% but usually yes. there is yet to be anything very effective to treat it. it would require a major inj combo and even thats is just a possibility. in the ones we tested every one even when we were able to supress it for a bit it came back. on average with the anti biotics we ended up having to euthanize at around 12-14 months. none grew hardly at all. 14 months still 67 grams. toe nails started falling out again, skin showed signs etc etc etc we dont currently know of any really long time survivors this includes other species not just sulcata

When you get time do you think you could post some or all of the signs of this disease?
That way people could look to see if theirs has it?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
the main visible signs include the spots, toenails randomly falling out, no growth even though they eat like crazy, dry cracking skin, swelling of face or limbs, facial changes or pieces coming off like the bottom jaw etc and they do not have to show all of these it can be one or more or all of them