28 Sick Tortoises please help, Bumps under Neck

mastershake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
i dont see anything like that being effective this is a VERY aggressive bacteria and its not really on the surface. i mean no one says it wouldnt do anything but i would for sure have my doubts and i do believe and use some natural things myself so im not against those kinds of things.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i dont see anything like that being effective this is a VERY aggressive bacteria and its not really on the surface. i mean no one says it wouldnt do anything but i would for sure have my doubts and i do believe and use some natural things myself so im not against those kinds of things.
Besides the obvious damage on the outside of the torts, has any kind of damage been found going on, on the inside?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are the vets you have been working with trying fo find a treatment or cure? Has data/info been passed on to a lab or vet college?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i believe this used to be called dermatophilus chelonae......... there may be more info under that name as opposed to austwickia .

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Besides the obvious damage on the outside of the torts, has any kind of damage been found going on, on the inside?
Yes, as far as im aware, everything you see going on outside, is also going on inside. It's a really nasty illness.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Not saying you are wrong about echinacea but I did use it on kittens that I pretty much know had inherited feline leukemia. If I could catch them quick enough they lived and became healthy. I can't say that they wouldn't keep passing it on though. I didn't have a lab and all that. I don't even know if a lab could show that. I just did it for that few particular kittens. Also for a few other species of animals and it almost always worked. The only thing is I wouldn't want to use an animal for breeding or to be around others that could catch it just in case. I still don't know if what I did is ethical. If for a beloved pet though probably and they were.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
ill try to answer some of the questions you guys have.

@Cathie G i mean someone would have to have a tort with aw and try it then do a lab test, repeat...... if you know what i mean.

you can read the necropsy i posted this is not nice and causes a lot of internal damage yes. we have multiple necropsy reports and they all say the same basic things.

generally by the time you see this on the outside this bad, its already usually all over on the inside. at least so far that has been the case.

and yes you are correct they reclassified this around 2010 or so as austwickia chelonae it was formerly called dermatophilus chelonae as a more general term and before they knew more about what it really was.

as has been said before its already been sensitivity tested, before we started doing tests as well as after. they already know what if anything would work and that is not a lot and talking to the doctors at the major labs who specialize in that area i.e. medicine and drugs we were told this would take a heavy combo of systemic drugs to even have a chance of making it go away. not "curing" it. a few antibiotics showed some effect but none as far as what im told by the results showed total effectiveness. there have been more sensitivity tests done showing pretty much what they already knew.

the usda would only be involved in this IF this were to start effecting animals for slaughter i.e. cows, pigs etc etc. this comes from the conv. i had with them directly.

there is a possibility of another dept getting involved if there was proof this was showing up in wildlife especially endangered. but that again is not going to be something they will jump on. we have spoke to fl state as well as people in az. people from usark know, peta knows, other wildlife groups know etc. etc. etc.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
ill try to answer some of the questions you guys have.

@Cathie G i mean someone would have to have a tort with aw and try it then do a lab test, repeat...... if you know what i mean.

you can read the necropsy i posted this is not nice and causes a lot of internal damage yes. we have multiple necropsy reports and they all say the same basic things.

generally by the time you see this on the outside this bad, its already usually all over on the inside. at least so far that has been the case.

and yes you are correct they reclassified this around 2010 or so as austwickia chelonae it was formerly called dermatophilus chelonae as a more general term and before they knew more about what it really was.

as has been said before its already been sensitivity tested, before we started doing tests as well as after. they already know what if anything would work and that is not a lot and talking to the doctors at the major labs who specialize in that area i.e. medicine and drugs we were told this would take a heavy combo of systemic drugs to even have a chance of making it go away. not "curing" it. a few antibiotics showed some effect but none as far as what im told by the results showed total effectiveness. there have been more sensitivity tests done showing pretty much what they already knew.

the usda would only be involved in this IF this were to start effecting animals for slaughter i.e. cows, pigs etc etc. this comes from the conv. i had with them directly.

there is a possibility of another dept getting involved if there was proof this was showing up in wildlife especially endangered. but that again is not going to be something they will jump on. we have spoke to fl state as well as people in az. people from usark know, peta knows, other wildlife groups know etc. etc. etc.
It's a sad yes I agree. They really don't think animal diseases are important enough to all of us. But they are.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
It's a sad yes I agree. They really don't think animal diseases are important enough to all of us. But they are.
IF they start affecting humans or endangered species then they take it serious. thats the biggest problem. there is a bit more to a few things i cant state here yet. as i said there is another dept who *might* get involved. but that info at this time i can not post publicly yet.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
IF they start affecting humans or endangered species then they take it serious. thats the biggest problem. there is a bit more to a few things i cant state here yet. as i said there is another dept who *might* get involved. but that info at this time i can not post publicly yet.
I'll be doing this ?in the meantime.?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
wasn't a wild gopher tortoise turned into the university of florida infected with this bacteria ?

does your lab have any opinion on the speculation of Diptheria like toxins ?

i believe it does not infect mammals , it does better at lower temps ......

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
along with all the snakes and other animals fl put a bounty on to pay people to kill them. its sad.
I was more implying that crows can infect the pigs and start another pandemic ? they should have been watching this. I'm also really sad that one of my favorite birds is getting that bacteria.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Why does anyone think government would possibly develop cures for this disease