3-4 month old Indian not gaining weight

HarvestHerp5

Location (City and/or State)
Harvest, AL
I got my hatchling Indian star in mid December and she weighed 23 g. She ate well and was gaining weight steadily until a few weeks ago. She's still eating fine---spring mix, cactus pads when I can get them locally, Romaine, Collard greens. She doesn't like dandelion leaves or turnip greens. She's been hovering/vacillating between 31g and 33g for a few weeks now. Any ideas? Minimum temp in the enclosure is around 81, humidity 80%+. Under the CHE, it's low 90s for temps. She walks around some, but stays on the cooler side for the most part.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Unfortunately many breeders start their hatchlings of dry and/or leave them in the incubator too long which they then ingest the incubation substrate.This may be the cause in your situation. Some hatchlings survive this others don’t. Best you can do is soak daily, if twice is possible it won’t hurt. Some will eventually start gaining weight again after some time.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
She's put on 50% of her original bodyweight, so it seems like she is growing some. Maybe she is just a slow starter. @G-stars is that an atypical amount of growth?

I’ve seen many stars gain weight up to the 30-40g mark and then stop growing. It seems to be that they still continue to eat normal but they can’t metabolize the food. Besides the OP stated that the tortoise was received at 23g. I believe that’s way too small to ship, if it was shipped. That’s hatchling weight, I don’t sell mine until they are around 50g.

HarvestHerp5

Harvest, AL
Yes, I'm doing everything correctly. My other star tortoise is growing very well. I got him at about 52 grams and he's now about 120 g, seven months later.

Figster45

Pittsburgh, PA
I would cut out most of the lettuce as I dont think there is much nutritional value and add more grasses. I grow several trays of wheat grass and a tortoise mix from Natures Seeds, add some chopped and soaked Timothy hay. This provides a much better diet for them. Also look into some edible weeds on the tortoise table. I was surprised at how many I found just walking around my area.