3 little platynota

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N.W. Arkansas
So, feel free to post your guesses. I find myself influenced by Markw84’s guesses. Therefore, I had better put mine in before he guesses or else he will change my mind before I manage to type out a guess. Which I find hard as I get mixed signals from overall shell shape, anal scutes, growth rates and tail lengths.

#1 female
#2 male
#3 female

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Looks like 3 females to me now! At 866g that tail would be much bigger - but.... it could still be interesting to see how this all develops. With a 1 1/2 yr old platynota already at 900g there may be an element of age that still has to play out??!! Normally at 900g there would be no confusion in sexing them. However, with them so young, it will be interesting to see if anything changes yet. If they were at least 3 years old and that size and we were looking at those pictures, there would be no doubt in my mind they were all female.

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
Looks like 3 females to me now! At 866g that tail would be much bigger - but.... it could still be interesting to see how this all develops. With a 1 1/2 yr old platynota already at 900g there may be an element of age that still has to play out??!! Normally at 900g there would be no confusion in sexing them. However, with them so young, it will be interesting to see if anything changes yet. If they were at least 3 years old and that size and we were looking at those pictures, there would be no doubt in my mind they were all female.

Thanks for playing along! I certainly would be happy with three females. It is a lot easier to go shopping for a couple of good looking males than to go looking for females.

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
I figured out a name for my third Burmese Star Tortoise but forgot to post it here. Bonnie Parker. It comes with the bonus of if she ends up being a he I can always change it to Clyde Barrow.
006E6965-4C17-496B-9A01-D45337B476A4.jpeg

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
@mrnewberry

Allen:

Looks like they should be big enough to give a pretty decent Guess as to sex. How about some pictures - overhead. overhead from rear. plastron/tail.

Sorry to take so long. I took some photos earlier, but they weren’t the angles you wanted. I just redid them and I will post them up.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
1 and 2 are definitely females. How much does 3 weight? I’m going to guess it’s over 1000g and a female as well.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I missed your updated pictures until now. Sorry, Allen!

All 3 females! At 1000g there is no way a male would not have a tail that has already enlarged significantly.

I am going to have to moderate my reliance on overall shape, it seems. #3s shape sure looks male, but there is no way that's a male. Perhaps different bloodlines can have a more oblong overall body shape even for females??

Do you have calipers or a way to very accurately measure? I'd love to see the exact straight line carapace length and width of all 3, but especially #3.