3 of 3 leopard hatchlings dead - what went wrong?

Robber

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
MO, USA
3. Humidity: Unless the enclosure is kept in a humid reptile room or outdoors in the deep south, there is no way you have 50% humidity in there.

That was the first thing I thought - although having a damp layer underneath helps a little with the humidity, especially at ground level, I can't imagine it's more than 25% in the open area . Also, speaking of open, there isn't nearly enough cover for them to hide under either aside from the closed part. That will not only help them feel more secure but also help create more small areas of humidity.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
"Eyes Stuck Shut" is the blindness we refer to. I'm very sure your culprit was the compact fluorescent bulb. Once the eyes are closed they stop eating and this contributes to all the rest of the problems.

Septicemia shows up as bruising or red under the shell. Can't say that's what was wrong with your baby, though.

Humidity needs to be much higher than 50%. Going by the old printed word is outdated. Even the Fifes' reading material is outdated. Besides keepers in Germany, the Fife brothers were the first to start experimenting with the hot, humid method of raising babies, but this was AFTER they had written books showing the dry method.

Our care sheets for leopards and sulcatas (basically the same care) are up-to-the-minute baby tortoise care. They have been proven to help you raise healthy and smooth baby tortoises.

With this new batch of babies, ditch the compact fluorescent bulb and the straw, cover the habitat and keep the temperature and the humidity up in the 80's and I'm pretty sure you'll see a much different set of baby tortoises.
I have 22 leopards for 15 yrs and I agree with the above . And really with get the temp above 70's the low should be above 80 .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My personal thought from everything I see on here that Leopard hatchlings can be fragile and sometimes there's nothing you can do.

Your feeling are understandable, but leopard babies are no more fragile than any other babies. The problem is that they are almost universally started too dry and kept chronically dehydrated in their first few critical days and weeks. Most people (breeders) don't house them or keep them heated correctly either. Many breeders also fail to use a brooder box too and this is another complication. I have never lost or had any problem with any leopard tortoise that I hatched and started my way. Not one single issue ever. That is not coincidence.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Terribly sorry to hear about your losses.
It's time now to make changes and look to the future for the others.(Which is exactly why you're here of course).
Really hoping you can save the others.
Good luck.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I agree 100% with your way! The two torts I have are smooth and growing amazing. The one I lost was from a breeder recommended on this site, He starts them wet, warm and humid. I have no good explanation for why it died, it didn't eat well and I couldn't get it to take calcium at all. @Tom

I agree that this enclosure needs some adjustments.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree 100% with your way! The two torts I have are smooth and growing amazing. The one I lost was from a breeder recommended on this site, He starts them wet, warm and humid. I have no good explanation for why it died, it didn't eat well and I couldn't get it to take calcium at all. @Tom

I agree that this enclosure needs some adjustments.

It just kills me to see person after person and baby tortoise after baby tortoise go through what you went through and JBurer is now going through. It is so preventable with a little added water and warmth.

I'm glad to hear you are having success now! :)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Your feeling are understandable, but leopard babies are no more fragile than any other babies. The problem is that they are almost universally started too dry and kept chronically dehydrated in their first few critical days and weeks. Most people (breeders) don't house them or keep them heated correctly either. Many breeders also fail to use a brooder box too and this is another complication. I have never lost or had any problem with any leopard tortoise that I hatched and started my way. Not one single issue ever. That is not coincidence.

@Tom ...Perhaps you can tell us how many leo babies you have bred? round number? This may help jburer understand your statement better. I know it's alot and you can back your statement up because you sell to forum members...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom ...Perhaps you can tell us how many leo babies you have bred? round number? This may help jburer understand your statement better. I know it's alot and you can back your statement up because you sell to forum members...

I've only hatched about 2 dozen leopards, but raised over 100 hatchlings. I've hatched several hundred sulcatas though and the same result. I've also used these techniques, with minor variations, for Russians and CDT hatchlings. Last, but certainly not least, I have 10 healthy and thriving Burmese stars that are also benefitting from this same care.

JBurer

I need to be straight with you. I'm just going to say it and not make attempts to sugar coat it. None of this is intend to be mean, its intended to help you understand the things that are going on. Here is my opinion of some things that are going on:
1. "Straight out of Fife's book": I don't agree with his way of doing it, and HE doesn't do it the way he describes in the book. He has a large baby room and does not use heat lamps. His night temps also stay warmer than 70.
2. The coil bulb might be the main source of your issue. If its a bad one and it burns their eyes, they do exactly what you describe. They get lethargic, shut their eyes and lose their appetite.
3. Humidity: Unless the enclosure is kept in a humid reptile room or outdoors in the deep south, there is no way you have 50% humidity in there. Sorry but that enclosure is all wrong. Wrong lighting, wrong substrate, too cold at night, wrong water bowl, having an open top is wrong and the ZooMed tortoise house is just the wrong enclosure to begin with. I know that last sentence is not what anyone wants to hear, but it has to be said. Here is the right way to do it: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
4. In my thread entitled "Hatchling Failure Syndrome", which is all about how the breeder failed, I am not talking about an "incident". I am talking about a prolonged pattern of chronic dehydration from a lack of soaking, drinking water and overly low humidity. If the breeder started your babies nearly identical to the way you've been housing them, then this is likely your problem, or part of your problem.
5. While some contagious disease is a possibility that I cannot rule out from here, it is very unlikely. If they do have some contagious disease, it probably came from the breeder's place. Separating them at this point won't do anything but stress them further.

Okay. I know that was brutal, but at least now you know more about what has gone wrong and what the problem(s) might be. Please ask for clarification on any of the above. I'm terribly sorry that you or anyone else has to go through this. Please inform your breeder of what you have learned here. This is the only way we will stop this cycle of dead baby tortoises. The breeder might reject what you say, but after enough people come back to him with the same story and dead babies, any sane person will have to reconsider their position.

Hi Tom,
Not brutal at all and thanks for the detailed reply. I asked for honesty to help me prevent this from happening with future tortoises, not for a shoulder to cry on. So thank you for that.

1. Ok, that is interesting to know regarding Fife's temps. That is an easy adjustment going forward... but, that said, what I'm trying to determine is what caused catastrophic failure, not a slightly sub-optimal temperature that produces mildly poorer results. Respiratory problems would be the manifestation of temps too cold and I don't have that. Further, when I look at the Leopard Tortoises natural geographic range I note that, in the 4 regions I have data for (Dodoma, Tanzania; Serowe, Botswana; Cape Town, South Africa and Windhoek, Namibia), there is not a single month where the low temp *exceeds* 70 degrees. In fact, a majority of the months are in the 50's and 60s.

I don't disagree that a higher night time temp might be more optimal and lead to better development, but it's highly unlikely keeping them at 73 degrees caused them all to die in 3 months.

As a footnote to this point, on the breeder's own care sheet mailed with the animals it quotes:
"Night heat is not required as a night time temperature drop to upper 60's - lower 70's is beneficial in preparing the tortoise for what it will experience living outside".

2. I think you are right here. Thinking back over past conversations with the breeder, he has stated the sticky eyes issue is normal and that you address it by deep, regular and long soakings. He personally uses and recommends to his customers this Exo Terra 10.0 desert bulb (it's in his care sheet....). I believe he's not seeing catastrophic losses for several reasons - bulbs may be further away, he may have them outside more than I did, may sell the hatchlings before it becomes too much of an issue, etc.

3. I have a sensor to read humidity and it reads 48-52% in the general enclosure when I have the coir moist. Drops to 20% if I let it dry out. I haven't measured the hide, but I can tell from feel that the upside down tub, which is sitting in the dark and in wet coir at all times, is very high humidity.

I'd love to have a separate conversation about which enclosure more closely duplicates their natural environment, but want to stay focused for now on the reason for catastrophic failure. If the tortoises had the opportunity to get water at all times, to hide out in a highly humid area of the cage and that the rest of the enclosure was about 50% humidity at all times would you agree with me that we're talking about a variation from "good to OK" in the choice of enclosure versus 100% mortality?

As I mentioned in my first post, I successfully raised Leopard Tortoise hatchlings 15 years ago on play sand, in a ventilated lizard lounge aquarium inside with no real monitoring.... and they thrived.

4. I've come to this conclusion, as well... though I believe the problem is limited to the bulb used. He regularly soaks and uses moist coconut coir to achieve high humidity.

5. Agree

Much appreciate the back and forth on this. If I'm wrong on any of my counter-points, please don't be shy in telling me. Discussion is the best way for that new guy starting out to not have a bad outcome.
Best,
John

JBurer

I don't know that you will ever know the true culprit. I had a Leopard hatchling do what your describing, I housed it in the same enclosure I kept my sulcata in when it was a hatchling and it tripled in size in the 3 months it lived in that enclosure (no they weren't in it at the same time). It was a closed chamber with the recommend heat and humidity on the care sheets on this site. My personal thought from everything I see on here that Leopard hatchlings can be fragile and sometimes there's nothing you can do. I do think once you had one get sick they should've been separated but that's hindsight now. I personally decided that the best way to get a Leopard is getting one that is no less than 4 months and 100 grams. Good luck with the new ones and I hope everything turns great.

Thanks Abrams, I think you may be right there. Seems like early errors stick with these guys like little ticking time bombs. I recall this being a similar situation with Panther Chameleons I used to raise.

JBurer

Teresa, I definitely don't doubt Tom's advice is good. I've read enough of his other posts to get that general sense.

That said, for this purpose I'm primarily focusing on what can cause 100% mortality in 3 months... and less on what is the optimum temp, humidity, etc.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
One thing I do know is this.
If your ambient temperature is 70 degrees, then take a reading on the ground.
It will be much hotter.

JBurer

"Eyes Stuck Shut" is the blindness we refer to. I'm very sure your culprit was the compact fluorescent bulb. Once the eyes are closed they stop eating and this contributes to all the rest of the problems.

Septicemia shows up as bruising or red under the shell. Can't say that's what was wrong with your baby, though.

Humidity needs to be much higher than 50%. Going by the old printed word is outdated. Even the Fifes' reading material is outdated. Besides keepers in Germany, the Fife brothers were the first to start experimenting with the hot, humid method of raising babies, but this was AFTER they had written books showing the dry method.

Our care sheets for leopards and sulcatas (basically the same care) are up-to-the-minute baby tortoise care. They have been proven to help you raise healthy and smooth baby tortoises.

With this new batch of babies, ditch the compact fluorescent bulb and the straw, cover the habitat and keep the temperature and the humidity up in the 80's and I'm pretty sure you'll see a much different set of baby tortoises.

Yvonne - I had to mull over it a bit, but I think you're absolutely correct. I've ditched the bulb and generally have the tortoises in a safe enclosure outside now.

As I try to raise these next guys in more optimal conditions, I'll look at higher temps and humidity for when they're indoors.

JBurer

One thing I do know is this.
If your ambient temperature is 70 degrees, then take a reading on the ground.
It will be much hotter.

In this case I'm taking readings with a permanent wire probe and an infrared temp gun. Ground temps are low 70's at night, 75 in the hide during the day and a gradient up to about 100 in the basking spot.

JBurer

I have 22 leopards for 15 yrs and I agree with the above . And really with get the temp above 70's the low should be above 80 .

Thanks Grandpa T.

I'm hearing from many that same recommendation as I discuss causes for mortality. How do you reconcile the different temp data out of Africa and their general success surviving there?

Since I've quoted it previously, I'll add the data here for discussion.20150501_134400.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What I mean is what you have just posted.
Those books are ambient air temperature.
The ground temperature will be much hotter.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
15 years ago the babies weren't bombarded with humidity. I bet they would've died if they had and you kept lower temp. sand is usually involved when impactions have occured...you got lucky? This forum is here to inform/nitpick to stop stoppable freak accidents like Tipping hazards such as ramps or steep water bowls, or 'bad' soil that may be ingested causing poisoning and impaction. Just because it's used in past with no problems doesn't mean it will always be so. Do you really want to spend so much time and money and affection on and animal that up and dies on you for something that is preventable? I've been using this forum strategies on my baby m.e.p.s with no issues. They've doubled in weight from 4.5 months when I got them til now 4 months later. I keep them at 90% humidity with a minumum of 75F(mine are meps which require milder temps). I soak them nightly in 85f water and feed them immediately after. They are voraciuos eaters. :) Temps in aftrica...did you take into account that wild tortoises burrow when it gets colder at night? I don't doubt that the daytime sun warms the soil deep enough that when they go under for the evening it's still warm in the am. They can't burrow in a box. I really feel that, alone, any one of the issues that have been brought up(low humidity, coil bulb, etc) wouldn't have resulted in a dead baby but maybe taking them all together was too much. These methods are working for us. You should devote yourself to trying it. You may find that it's really fun creating a closed chamber environement. I had a blast! Sorry for the loss of the babies. Good luck with the sick one. Enjoy your new ones.

JBurer

What I mean is what you have just posted.
Those books are ambient air temperature.
The ground temperature will be much hotter.

Thanks Tidgy, I missed that.

So if I temp test the tortoise and he's 90 degrees while basking, is that sufficient?