3 radiated tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tom. Do you supplement your rads with any sort of calcium powder?
No. I have no male currently so they are not laying any eggs. Their diet is also very weedy and lots of opuntia, mulberry leaves and grape leaves, so calcium supplementation is really not necessary for these fully grown adult females. When I get a male and the eggs start flowing, I'll use some Rep-Cal or ZooMed calcium powder a couple of times a week.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Latest weigh in. All 3 are gaining weight now.
Holly = 146g
Olive = 132g
Berry = 183g.

It’s a right royal pain in the *** remembering torts names. I’m now understanding why a lot just use numbers. :p

Some photos of Holly and Olive. You can see my new growth is different. I’m hoping this is a sign of things levelling out.

44DEB4CF-B077-49ED-B02A-8367E48C2A3D.jpeg 72B70833-F77E-4E90-8D2F-7D72D07C3DE8.jpeg FD344CA6-C874-4E9C-9660-9149E0F2C721.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The Rads are so cool looking!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
How are their personalities compared to the red foots?
Very shy. Know where near as outgoing. My redfoots are mad. They all come to me soon as they see me. Climbing over each other to get to me. Even when I’ve fed them there are a couple that are more interested in me.
These radiated don’t like being touched. If I pick them up then put them down, they sprint for cover in a panic. There’s absolutely no way they will feed out of my hands. They stop feeding if I open the vivarium up.
Maybe it’s just the way they were raised and in time they will warm to us.

daniellenc

Maryland
I’ve always liked their look but heard they’re a shyer species so I wondered the same as you’re seeing.

BevSmith

I am finding mine to be pretty shy, as well. They’re little guys though, so I’m hoping to win them over with food. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Growing steady now.
Holly = 107g
Olive = 111g
Berry = 166g.

Olive has gained 15g in 4 weeks. She was the one that was blocked.

I've also noticed they don't use the dark end of the enclosure, EVER. It's a 6 ft viv with a 3ft uvb tube covering half the enclosure. They never ever go to the darker end. I'll add another tube at the dark end and see what happens.
View attachment 228083
Adorable! God bless.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Very beautiful tortoises! Well done. I hope one day I'll be able to care for a Radiated.

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
I've read over this four times to try to find the quote where you stated one had blockage. What caused the blockage? You are referring to intestinal blockage right? What did you do to treat it?

BlakeATX

5 Year Member
Austin Texas
Very shy. Know where near as outgoing. My redfoots are mad. They all come to me soon as they see me. Climbing over each other to get to me. Even when I’ve fed them there are a couple that are more interested in me.
These radiated don’t like being touched. If I pick them up then put them down, they sprint for cover in a panic. There’s absolutely no way they will feed out of my hands. They stop feeding if I open the vivarium up.
Maybe it’s just the way they were raised and in time they will warm to us.
I’m sure they will get better. My male rad is like a puppy. Follows me (or anyone) around and loves a head scratch. He’s much friendlier than my others (red foot and Aldabra)

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
I agree with @BlakeATX - my radiata are very outgoing as a bunch. Some started out with a little shy streak, but I handle them a little (brushing their shells off, scrubbing them down during soaks, giving them head or leg rubs). Most of mine now come running to me because I will rub and scratch their shells, they just push into my hand and show me where they want me to focus.

Absolutely my favorite species I've ever worked with!