3 toe eye color change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pameladale

5 Year Member
I have had my 3 toed male box turtle for 9 months now, he was not taken care of well at all before I got him, had no uvb or heat, grass picked out of the yard as subrate, pretty much walking on the glass floor of the tank, no calcium, no meat at all & was eating coldcuts. He used to be this beige brown color all over & had shell fractures with brown eyes. He has now got cream colored spots on his shell, orange and yellow spots on his skin and way more healthy but he has started to get red eyes recently is this normal? I know sometimes red eyes is normal for them to have but just to all of the sudden start turning red im not sure if its a good thing showing how much healthyer he is or if maybe he has an eye infection or something? Feedback would be much apreciated!! First photo before 2nd 2 now

No meal worms or bugs at all but eating cold cuts^

Attachments

• 1371786665594.jpg
    1371786665594.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 1371786693772.jpg
    1371786693772.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 1371786712652.jpg
    1371786712652.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 121

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
Not sure I can answer you on that one, but he looks very cute :) I am not an expert at all on turtles... but I mean puppies always start out as having blue eyes but they quickly change brown.. if 3 toeds have red eyes its not surprising that it changed rather quickly. I hope its normal and I'm sure it is. Glad you are providing a better home :)

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Sorry, I can't answer your question; I'm not very familiar w/3 toes. I just wanted to say that I'm so glad to see him have a better quality of life. :)

Vickie

5 Year Member
I wish I could help but not well educated when it comes to this.....I hope a knowledgeable person chimes in. Sounds like things are turning around for you guy there and he is very lucky to have found a MUCH better home. Very lucky tortoise indeed! :)

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Thank you guys! I forgot to mention hes almost 17 so hes not really growing anymore so this change is just super odd!

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
What color were his eyes before this happened? Red eyes in box turtles means they are male (brown is female). As babies the eyes are usually grey or yellow and then suddenly they will change to the adult colors. Usually it happens before they're 17 years old though. My three-toed male changed at around 5 years old.

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Re: RE: 3 toe eye color change

They were goldish brown, hes definatly a boy but my female has red eyes too.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Red eyes usually indicates male. As far as him suddenly becoming colourful, I think it's boxie speak translating as: "see how gorgeous and awesome I am now that I am getting proper care and diet? Thank you!!!"
I rescued an Ornate that was similarly uncared for and he has done the exact same thing for me in only 2 months!
You did good :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's normal for male eye color to change depending on conditions. It usually is related to either females being present or by it "feeling" dominant even if other turtles aren't around. So proper diet and humidity can trigger a male to go into dominant mode which can sometimes trigger red eyes. I have one male gulf coast who's eyes regularly fluctuate between white and bright red depending on the time of year (two main breeding seasons) . The shell becoming more vibrant is usually due to better humidity and diet and possibly some aging depending on the age of the turtle.

So yes both are normal and it sounds like he is enjoying his new home.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Congratulations! Sounds like you are giving this turtle the love and care he needed to flourish. I have kept 3 toeds nearly all my life and in my experience, red irises of the eyes means vibrancy and health. I have a female with vivid red eyes, a little unusual (I think?) 'cause the males usually have that feature.
Glad your turtle found you.
T

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Hi again Pamela,
Traditionally in box turtles males have red/orange eyes and girls have brown eyes, just exactly what everyone else said. That being said, having Easterns, three toes, gulf coasts and Ornates, I will say that three toed turtles can be trickier than the others in that many times you will get a rusty orange eye, and it can be really hard to distinguish if it is red/orange or an orange/brown. So, in those cases we then look at their shells and tails. That doesn't happen as much with the other breeds. Now having eggs, you can be sure he is a boy. ;) But, know that you are not alone. Three toes often try to trick us... hahaha Good luck on your eggs! :D

Pameladale

5 Year Member

Haha they are definatly tricky animals. wow you have seem to have a lot of turtles are they kept out doors? Haha yeah I found that out when he was sitting in his water bowl, he hangs it out when I blow dry my hair lol very strange turtle. Thank you!

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Hahahaha.. Mine have an outdoor pen and and a tortoise house they sty in. When it gets really cold they ll come in. I fear that they can't stay warm enough through the yuckiest parts of winter. They get as much rel sun as I can get them. It makes for healthy turtles. ;) A few of my males tend to show off and "flare" their stuff. lil pervs. Lol Super cool pets!

Pameladale

5 Year Member

Oh thats good I wish I could put mine outside its just way too cold here in winter I take em out in summer tho they love it & they'll race eachother & stuff its too cute unfortunatly its only nice enough a few times a year. Oh boy it freaks me out when they do that & the neck puffing my boy sits there & watches me puffing his neck out little weirdo.

Status
Not open for further replies.