3-Toe Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxTortMan

5 Year Member
Yesterday I “adopted” a 3-toed box turtle. I think that it’s a 3-toed because it has 3 toes on its hind feet and has the olive green/yellow coloration in its shell? He has no pattern on his shell and it looks pretty bad (I’m working on that, any suggestions?). About 26 years ago a teacher bought him for $5 as a hatchling and he has been living on sand/gravel and not the most ideal diet or lighting. She gave him to me knowing I had multiple turtles/torts and she no longer wanted him in her classroom. I’m not very familiar with 3-toes and need some help with mines shell and how to bring that back to health. Any advice that can be given about how to care will be greatly appreciated! I added some pics to help diagnose what needs to happen.

Attachments

• IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0705.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 130

bmt123

5 Year Member
She actually looks very healthy to me but I am not an expert

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I treat my 3 toed the same as my other boxies. The good news is that good care can make a big difference, even after long term mistakes. It's good that this little guy has come to you at last!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
He looks healthy to me as well, other than the shell being a bit dry. A moist substrate for digging and burrowing and warm temps should help. UVB lighting and a healthy diet. Some outdoor time too.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
He's a beauty. He looks in great shape to me. Shell is a little worn in spots, but that's normal. A little vita shell would make it look new again, but not needed. I would say that that teacher did a fantastic job with him.

TxTortMan

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone! I’m going to change the substrate to coco choir and moss. That should be only temporary until I can build something outside. The vita shell I think would be a big help. Thanks again.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I personally would not bother with vita shell. Just give him a bit more dampness/humidity and the shell will be fine.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yeah I agree with Lisa, have humidity up and fake rain storms, vita shell I don't hardly ever use it really doesn't do much, I've also heard it clogs pores on the shell, but that might be an old myth now. His shell looks fine looks like its a little dry but honestly for the most part looks great

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a beautiful box turtle. When I read that he'd been in a classroom for 26 years I figured he'd be pretty deformed with an over grown beak. But he's a perfect specimen. And I love his skin colors. I think the carapace is abraded due to the sand. I'm not sure if it will ever have a bit of a sheen to it again. The topical that Yag suggested won't harm, and it will make him a bit more shiney. Just be sure to wipe off all the excess.

TxTortMan

5 Year Member
Thank you for the compliments! I think I'll try vita shell and see how it goes, his shell is pretty dry and with some scrubbing with a toothbrush it’s started to look more natural yellow/green and not so white. He doesn’t seem to eat very much plant matter and eats mainly earthworms, mealworms, crickets, pill bugs etc… It should be alright for a 3-toed to have more meat/protein than plant matter in his diet correct?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yeah, for now it will be fine. I like a diet of 60 percent protein and 40 percent vegetation. Continue giving him the protein, and try berries of various types. Those are a favorite of box turtles. Also tomatoes. If you can get him to eat those things, you can then slowly introduce other things. Mine loves blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. You can even buy a bag of frozen mixed berries from the store and defrost as needed.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
That's a perfectly healthy 3toed male box turtle. Vibrant eyes say it all . I feed my boxies a mixture of worms, wet dog food, squash , carrot peelings , cantaloupe ,numerous other fruits, and wheat bread. Good luck!

TxTortMan

5 Year Member
Thank you all! I was wondering if he might be a little smaller than the average, I read average is 5-8.5 inches?

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Wow! He is simply stunning! Hard to imagine being able to give him away... I can't see a thing wrong with him either. I did use Vita Shell on an ornate with a rough shell and although that was coupled with a complete switch to ideal husbandry, I think it did help.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Vitashell is great stuff for cracked and dry heels and foot callouses. Human feet. Probably great hair defrizzer. It softens my guitar playing callouses- not a good thing. I admit I used it on Flora the EBT when she starred in a tv commercial, but otherwise it's just another thing they don't need.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
I've mostly found the 3toed males to be smaller than the females and have had 2 that never grew over 5". Granted, they were both rescues and had some serious health issues...
So glad you took that fella in! Looks great!

TxTortMan

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone who responded! I moved him into a large storage container until I can get my outdoor space set up and escape proof. The vitashell has actually done an amazing job at getting his shell to smooth out and look healthier. But it can’t all be due to the vitashell because he’s now on coco fiber and higher humidity with “rain showers.” I got a female 3toed and she is about 3/4 of an inch bigger and I would guess 15-20 years old, so males might be smaller. Here is what he looks like now!

Attachments

• IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1043.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1055.JPG
    IMG_1055.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 26
Status
Not open for further replies.