3 toed / 2nd clutch: Eggs look different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boony

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello! My three toed female recently laid her eggs. This is her 2nd clutch, and she had her 1st clutch 3 weeks ago. :)

I was so excited to find eggs in both clutches:D - but the funny thing is that the shape of the eggs seem different. The eggs in the 1st clutch have yellowish color with a few dots/spots on their shell, and they are oval shaped. The 2nd cluth has about 3-4 very white eggs, and they look just like golf balls - no oval shape at all. Also, the egg shell from the 2nd cluth felt more softer than those from the 1st clutch, too, and one of them (2nd clutch) was a bit crushed. (no crack) .

I saw the same female digging both nests, so I don't really know why eggs from the same turtle look so different. Is this normal? She used to have a 3 toed male partner, who doesn't live with her anymore (I adopted her recently), and that's all I know about her.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am not an expert on box turtle eggs, but that color sounds off to me, they may not be good, but I don't think it could hurt to incubate them.

Boony

5 Year Member
Southern California
Laura said:
are they fertile? incubating?
getting plenty of calcium?

Hello Laura,

Fertile/incubating -- Because I just uncovered the top a bit to see whether or not there is any eggs and covered them right away, I don't know if they are good/fertile. I did not retrieve or move them at all as I was too afraid of harming them. =) Only thing I did is covering the nests with a protectector - which I learned how to make one from the Internet.

Oh, when I uncovereed the top of the second nest, I could feel it was warm inside the hole - The turtle must have just finished her job then. =) I didn't feel anything in the 1st clutch because I was wearing gloves.

: I just wonder if the 3 toed eggs are supposed to be white and round or they can be oval shaped with spots.

Calcium -- I heard the turtles need calcium supplement, but I have no idea which brand to try. Any recommendation? I have been relying on live snails only . . .

dmmj said:
I am not an expert on box turtle eggs, but that color sounds off to me, they may not be good, but I don't think it could hurt to incubate them.

You are right.. I'm a bit concerned after I saw the white eggs in her recent nest. The first eggs look like those in the photo below (this is not my photo - just a reference link) - Some spots / not so white / oval / thicker shell than the second eggs.

http://apenvironmentaloaky.wiki.lov...235883/Turtle_Eggs_8-16-08_2.preview.JPG.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.